Marlins TV Rights Negotiations

Well, publicly saying you want to have a deal with the same people you're with takes away your leverage.

---

I was just saying their argument in the past when they let Tommy and Rich go was that the network dropped them, not the team.

This was literally the first thing I thought when I read that as well - when Tommy was let go (and let's be honest, we knew Rich's time was limited once T Hut was out) it was all a "network decision". Apparently not. We could have kept our beloved duo through these shitty past few years and lessened the blow.

This was literally the first thing I thought when I read that as well - when Tommy was let go (and let's be honest, we knew Rich's time was limited once T Hut was out) it was all a "network decision". Apparently not. We could have kept our beloved duo through these shitty past few years and lessened the blow.

The team could absolutely have kept Rich and T Hut. When the Cubs move their TV broadcasts from NBC Sports Chicago to Marquee they automatically keep their play-by-play and color commentator as long as their under contract with the team. Same with Vin Scully when the Dodgers moved from Fox Sports West and KCAL to Sportsnet LA over half a decade ago.

The team could absolutely have kept Rich and T Hut. When the Cubs move their TV broadcasts from NBC Sports Chicago to Marquee they automatically keep their play-by-play and color commentator as long as their under contract with the team. Same with Vin Scully when the Dodgers moved from Fox Sports West and KCAL to Sportsnet LA over half a decade ago.

Right, that was always the official line, though - that it was a "network" decision, not the team, even though it was. I had hoped when Jeter & Co. took over, they'd listen to the fans and bring Rich and Tommy back, but that's obviously not happened. Maybe if we continually/constantly email them over and over again about it, they'll change? haha.

"Before Derek Jeter took over as CEO and part-owner, the Marlins’ former management presented to Jeter a Fox contract extension proposal that called for a rights fee beginning north of $50 million, with some up-front payments in 2019 and 2020, according to a league source.

Jeter told the Marlins not to take that deal and to allow the new ownership to negotiate its own contract, which was understandable. (Every new ownership group should be able to handle negotiations on a key revenue stream.)

What’s unclear now is whether Sinclair is offering that amount, let alone more."

per the herald

"Before Derek Jeter took over as CEO and part-owner, the Marlins’ former management presented to Jeter a Fox contract extension proposal that called for a rights fee beginning north of $50 million, with some up-front payments in 2019 and 2020, according to a league source.

Jeter told the Marlins not to take that deal and to allow the new ownership to negotiate its own contract, which was understandable. (Every new ownership group should be able to handle negotiations on a key revenue stream.)

What’s unclear now is whether Sinclair is offering that amount, let alone more."

per the herald

Fingers crossed that we can at least match that deal.

The prospect of having to have an Amazon Prime subscription (or any Amazon subscription for that matter) to watch Marlins games is frightening

As opposed to getting raped by Comcast/att/directv/etc for a 5 different versions of C-Span and 50 other channels you don’t watch? Yeah I’ll keep my prime subscription lol

• Like 2

per the herald

Wouldn't be shocked if its less.

1) Ratings have been god awful.

2) Sinclair is the devil

Sinclair needs to hire their own baseball scouts to know the future of every MLB team.

They could very cheaply hire all the people that post replies to the Marlins social media pages. They seem to know, guaranteed, that this team will suck forever.

• Like 2

As opposed to getting raped by Comcast/att/directv/etc for a 5 different versions of C-Span and 50 other channels you don’t watch? Yeah I’ll keep my prime subscription lol

Word. Comcast is garbage.

But you’re dreaming if you think Amazon has your best interest (or America as a whole for that matter) in mind.

Word. Comcast is garbage.

But you’re dreaming if you think Amazon has your best interest (or America as a whole for that matter) in mind.

Oh no, you're 100% right lol I'm waiting for the day an amazon box comes in with a skynet logo instead

• Like 1

per the herald

If Sinclair can’t at least match that deal, the organization should walk. The upfront payments in the deal would have made a big difference in making the club a contender immediately, the payments were probably in the $10-30 Million range. If we can’t get a streaming deal, I’m sure Comcast would love to bid on the Marlins TV rights and launch NBC Sports Miami.

i dont like amazon so i hope their bring it free tv like their did back in days or fsn sport i dont need pay more cable company to see marlins like thyeir did with nny with yes network you have pay extas to see nny play

That was painful to read/try to interpret.

That was painful to read/try to interpret.

- doesn't like Amazon

- hopes Marlins go back to free tv cause doesn't want to pay more (I feel it)

- you have to pay extra for YES Network to watch the Yankees

Hope that cleared it up for you!

• Like 2

[MEDIA=twitter]1224821937043578886[/MEDIA]

Marlins are reportedly staying with 940 WINZ as flagship radio station. Interesting since they can’t be heard in some of Broward and all of Palm Beach County at night. They have improved lately by adding 1230 WBZT in West Palm as an affiliate. The organization needs to work on adding affiliates in Fort Myers-Naples, Treasure Coast, and Orlando.

• Like 2

Bad News

Source: John Wall Street Section of Sports Illustrated

The Miami Marlins television deal with Fox Sports Florida expires at the end of the 2020 season and despite talk of "ongoing, serious negotiations" it is feasible - if not increasingly likely - that the existing pact could reach its term without an extension in place. Prior to the sale of the franchise in 2017, the club’s former leadership team presented Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter with a proposal for an extension that “called for a rights fee beginning north of $50 million, with some up-front payments in 2019 and 2020.” Believing they could negotiate a better deal, the new ownership group rejected the offer. But the Jeter-lead front office hasn’t been able to convince the RSN its broadcast rights are worth more money and Sinclair - comfortable with the Rays under contract - seem unlikely to significantly increase their offer now. Former Marlins executive Mark Geddis says that it’s no longer a question of how much more the team can command, but “where and when they’re going to settle [for less].”

Howie Long-Short: The deal that the Sherman-Jeter group passed up before closing on the franchise “is one they would sign today without even reading the contract [terms].” Geddis said that “with cord cutting having accelerated [over the last 2-3 years], it has become increasingly difficult [for networks] to value [local broadcast rights and to justify paying out huge contracts to teams].” Remember, the RSNs are being squeezed on the other end by the cable and satellite providers. Sinclair’s well-documented struggles over the last 6 months would also lead one to believe that the purse strings may have been tightened a bit since the $50+ million/year offer was made.

The Marlins have been playing hardball (pun intended) with Fox Sports Florida, but the team lacks a viable alternative to the RSN. Gettis said, “to some degree, [the NL East club] is a hostage.” The only other regional sports network within the state is Fox Sports Sun (another Sinclair owned property) and no one pretends to believe a Marlins-centric television channel would be viable in today’s cable environment.

The only real leverage the Marlins held in negotiations seemingly dissipated when the Rays agreed to their new broadcast deal with Fox Sports Sun in 2018. That’s because Sinclair only ‘needed’ to lock down the rights to one Florida based baseball team for their two RSNs in the state (the second is considered a bonus). The Rays ended up signing a lucrative deal worth $65 million to $70 million in base value with another 20% to 25% in carried interest (estimated to be worth +/- $25 million/year). Of course, the Rays draw significantly better ratings than the Marlins do.

There’s little reason for Fox Sports Florida to increase their offer for the rights at this point. As the current deal gets closer to its expiration date, it’s the Marlins that “are seemingly losing leverage.” Gettis explained “there are a lot of older people in [the South Florida market], so it’s not as if a significant number of cable subscribers are going to cut the cord because they’re no longer getting Marlins baseball.” The team also desperately needs the exposure (perhaps more than most franchises). “The broadcasts are a chance to promote home games, the team, the players and their promotions. It’s important to have that three-hour commercial every night.” One senior media rights advisor suggested the team would have to get creative in negotiating a deal (think: increased equity stake, retaining all ad revenues) to find the upside they seek.

Editor Note: Please note that joining our community (si.com/johnwallstreet) will entitle you to receive our free daily email newsletter.

End of Article

If we’re not going to get at least $40 Million in the first year, the organization should sign with WSFL (CW) or WBFS (MyNetwork) get an equity stake in broadcast TV station (which is more valuable than a stake in a RSN) and have an ad revenue sharing arrangement.

What’s the point of limiting reach by airing on an RSN if you can’t get much money out of it?

At this rate, we can get on broadcast TV, be available on every TV in every household in Florida, Improve our ratings dramatically, and get just as much if not more TV revenue per year.

• Like 1

I don't buy the argument that the Marlins have less value to Fox Sports because they already have the Rays deal. Tampa is a completely different market.

This guy is claiming that the RSN is going to just ignore the #16 (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale) and #36 (Palm Beach) markets in the country because they already have a team in another part of the state locked into a deal. It's like saying an RSN in Pennsylvania would be OK not having the rights to Pirates games because they already have the Phillies deal. It's nonsense. The 2 markets are completely different and both are valuable.

• Like 4

I don't buy the argument that the Marlins have less value to Fox Sports because they already have the Rays deal. Tampa is a completely different market.

This guy is claiming that the RSN is going to just ignore the #16 (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale) and #36 (Palm Beach) markets in the country because they already have a team in another part of the state locked into a deal. It's like saying an RSN in Pennsylvania would be OK not having the rights to Pirates games because they already have the Phillies deal. It's nonsense. The 2 markets are completely different and both are valuable.

I still don’t understand why West Palm Beach gets their own ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates. West Palm Beach is still in the Miami MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area). It’s like Oakland getting it’s own TV Market from San Francisco, Fort Worth from Dallas, Anaheim from LA (etc.).Telemundo and Univision have one station for all of South Florida (Indian River County to Key West).

A combined Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach TV Market would be the 6TH Largest TV Market in America. We would be up with the Cubs, Phillies, and Rangers and ahead of the Red Sox, Giants, and Nationals. Sinclair would have to pay attention.

Former Marlins executive Mark Geddis says...

I'm confused. How is this guy who hasn't been a part of the negotiations for the last 3 years an authority on the matter? I mean, maybe he's got contacts in the org leaking him this info, but I'll believe the Marlins have a shit-deal in place when I see it.

This org has been so innovative in every way so far. I suspect the TV deal will be no different.

• Like 2