Marlins TV Rights Negotiations

If Sinclair can’t at least match that deal, the organization should walk. The upfront payments in the deal would have made a big difference in making the club a contender immediately, the payments were probably in the $10-30 Million range. If we can’t get a streaming deal, I’m sure Comcast would love to bid on the Marlins TV rights and launch NBC Sports Miami.

Why?

Because of the stellar ratings the Malins bring in?

Remember when I went on about how the Marlins should have pushed the acclerator when Jeter and Co bought the team?

This is why.

I'm not really sure what Jeter/Sherman expected other than proving how fucking god awful they are at the business side of baseball.

I can get a better deal, so lets just throw out an inferior product that literally nobody is going to watch and the RSN will come beating down my door because you know, its just a given right.

Stubborness and idiotic business side management.

The Royals had an average annual value of $25 Million in their previous TV deal.

In their new 10-15 year TV deal the AAV will be $50 Million.

The Marlins are now receiving about $18-20 Million per year. If we extrapolate using the new Royals TV contract at a 100% increase the Marlins would only get $36-40 Million over a 10 year deal.

In contrast, WGN paid the Cubs $250,000 per game from 2015-2019. That is 162 x $250,000= $40 Million per year. Even in the smaller Miami Market we could get $27-35 Million to go on OTA TV only (WPLG, WSVN, etc.) and syndicate to WPB, Fort Myers, Orlando, Jacksonville.

If you owned a team would you rather earn $36-40 Million with 19,000 Households Watching or $27-35 Million with 175,000-225,000 Households watching? You could make up the difference in revenue through merchandise sales from the additional 150,000+ Households watching your team.

Based on these figures it looks like the RSN bubble is bursting. A combination of Streaming and OTA broadcast TV is best to boost brand exposure and increase fan accessibility.

If the streaming companies aren’t interested, give all 162 games to WPLG or WSVN. The number of households that would be watching the Marlins would increase tenfold from 19,000 to 175,000-225,000.

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-close-to-new-tv-deal-with-fox-sports-kc

The royals get far better ratings. The factor you 100% ignore

People always said the "ratings" were very low in the South Florida, does it mean lots of family over there have no the cable TV ?

No it means people dont watch the Marlins.

• Like 1

Remember when I went on about how the Marlins should have pushed the acclerator when Jeter and Co bought the team?

This is why.

I'm not really sure what Jeter/Sherman expected other than proving how fucking god awful they are at the business side of baseball.

I can get a better deal, so lets just throw out an inferior product that literally nobody is going to watch and the RSN will come beating down my door because you know, its just a given right.

Stubborness and idiotic business side management.

Can’t help but agree with the last big paragraph. In the middle of a major rebuild is not the time to try and make bank on a TV deal but in fairness to them, I don’t know what the alternative was.

No it means people dont watch the Marlins.

Maybe Puig would attract people to turn on the TV and watch the Marlins game (many fans want him to play in Miami), I know one player only wouldn't solve the issue of low ratings but at least it would be a good start and with the urgency to have the new TV deal taking place before the start of the 2021 season, it's too late to have a better ratings after two to three year when this team competing (if that happens).

I don't buy the argument that the Marlins have less value to Fox Sports because they already have the Rays deal. Tampa is a completely different market.

This guy is claiming that the RSN is going to just ignore the #16 (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale) and #36 (Palm Beach) markets in the country because they already have a team in another part of the state locked into a deal. It's like saying an RSN in Pennsylvania would be OK not having the rights to Pirates games because they already have the Phillies deal. It's nonsense. The 2 markets are completely different and both are valuable.

To me, it's a negotiating ploy. Even with the poor ratings the Marlins have seen the last couple of seasons, they still bring eyeballs to advertisers. The Rays draw good ratings in the Tampa Bay market, but the combined South Florida markets are bigger and more lucrative.

[MEDIA=twitter]1199432337324433411[/MEDIA]

Sinclair is trying to buy low because they know the ratings will only increase while the team, rightfully, is trying to capitalize on what is coming. The Rays received an equity stake in Fox Sports Sun and I'd imagine the Marlins may be trying to grab a part of Fox Sports Florida similarly.

The advent of legalized sports gambling, the eventual evolution towards digital streaming and direct-to-consumer, and the team now controlling the digital rights for the in-market broadcasts are all topics that need to be dealt with. Plus, Sinclair and Comcast's contract runs out this summer, which means that a loss in distribution is possible for a while if they cannot come to an agreement. I think they will come to a deal soon to avoid an issue in Chicago (Cubs new channel is with Sinclair) which should remove this concern and allow Sinclair to feel more firm on moving forward with a deal. I'd be interested to see if they consider a move towards a Spanish-language RSN to compliment the English broadcast at some point. The SAP broadcast of the Spanish radio call is popular and accessible.

• Like 1

[MEDIA=twitter]1224821937043578886[/MEDIA]

Marlins are reportedly staying with 940 WINZ as flagship radio station. Interesting since they can’t be heard in some of Broward and all of Palm Beach County at night. They have improved lately by adding 1230 WBZT in West Palm as an affiliate. The organization needs to work on adding affiliates in Fort Myers-Naples, Treasure Coast, and Orlando.

ty

here in miami issue is alot spanish people like baseball cannot get cable if marlins can get deal ch33/39 show some game rating can go up back late 80s their did show some marlins game on free tv

They aired Marlins games on TV in the late 80s??

• 1 month later...