Most key members of front office extended through 2021

Admin

Update: Mike Hill was not one of the ones extended and 2020 is his final contract year though it's expected he will be retained.

"However, Mish says Hill is still entering 2020 on an expiring deal—“at the end of the year or maybe even sooner,” he is expected to officially sign up to stick around, but his status will be partially subject to the team’s performance on the field. The Marlins cannot have a repeat of last season’s 57-105 record and minus-193 run differential. Mish also wonders aloud whether Hill was paid above market rate by Jeffrey Loria and if new ownership will attempt to reduce his salary in exchange for job security (as they did when extending manager Don Mattingly)."

Kinda weird to judge Hill's future on the 2020 team record when he's done so much right beyond that. The record might not improve enough to justify keeping him but that probably wouldn't be fair to be honest.

• Like 1

I do not like having a lameduck GM. Should have extended him or fired him.

True but I've always thought the lame duck idea is overblown. It's not like it's the end of the season. They still have time to extend him if they are going to do it. If they're gonna fire him though, then it almost doesn't matter when it gets done.

True but I've always thought the lame duck idea is overblown. It's not like it's the end of the season. They still have time to extend him if they are going to do it. If they're gonna fire him though, then it almost doesn't matter when it gets done.

A GM is especially bad to have in a short term role since they are in charge of the direction of the current and future for the franchise. You want someone who thinks they'll be there in charge of the future.

• Like 1

A GM is especially bad to have in a short term role since they are in charge of the direction of the current and future for the franchise. You want someone who thinks they'll be there in charge of the future.

Which is also why I don't think it would be wise to fire him at this point even if the 2020 team isn't good. The organization has been applauded for it's improvements over the last two years and Hill has been a big part of that so he might as well see it through. There would be no point in starting with a new GM and there's a big chance that a new guy could totally mess up everything that has been achieved to this point because he'd be picking up the project too far into it.

Which is also why I don't think it would be wise to fire him at this point even if the 2020 team isn't good.

Shouldn't fire him now since the season is close, should've fired him after the 2019 season ended or extended him at that time. Now they have no choice but to go with him in 2020. For what it is worth, I think he should have been extended. They could still extend him, but seems like they don't want to at this time.

I think it just makes no sense to decide Hill's future with this team by the win-lose record of 2020 season. If you're Hill, what would you do to secure your job with this team if you really want that ? I would play hard to win as many games as possible and would that conflict to the direction the team wants to go ? I know there is a grey area in the third year of a rebuilding between developing the prospects and signing the FAs, so maybe this team just wants Hill to do his best to win as many games as possible in the third year of this rebuilding by not extending him now, but I highly doubt it.

I think it just makes no sense to decide Hill's future with this team by the win-lose record of 2020 season. If you're Hill, what would you do to secure your job with this team if you really want that ? I would play hard to win as many games as possible and would that conflict to the direction the team wants to go ? I know there is a grey area in the third year of a rebuilding between developing the prospects and signing the FAs, so maybe this team just wants Hill to do his best to win as many games as possible in the third year of this rebuilding by not extending him now, but I highly doubt it.

I think if the team ended up with a similar or worse record, then you let him go. However if the team improves by somewhere between 8 and 15 games or so, I say keep him on.

I know it's not him on the field but this is a team he has assembled at this point. Could see an extension midway through the year if things are trending right.

• Like 1

I think if the team ended up with a similar or worse record, then you let him go. However if the team improves by somewhere between 8 and 15 games or so, I say keep him on.

I know it's not him on the field but this is a team he has assembled at this point. Could see an extension midway through the year if things are trending right.

But he purposely was directed to put two bad MLB teams on the field the last two seasons while building up the farm. He built up the farm successfully and only now is the MLB team being focused on. If the 2020 team underperforms for various factors you can't let him go because the process of making it better is just starting now.

He might need more time for the MLB team to improve and you can't say it's taking too long when they were tanking for two years already.

If he was tasked to do A, B, and C in that order and he does A and B well you can't can him if C is taking longer to happen. At least give him the chance to see C through.

Contrary to popular belief the failures of the on field MLB team doesn't always mean the GM is at fault. Even a great GM can have mixed success on the field in any given season.

• Like 1

Let me clarify my point: you told Hill to make a bad team for two years to build up the farm and he did that very well.

Now you're telling Hill to make a good team starting in 2020 and you're gonna fire him if it isn't good immediately?

That doesn't seem right to me. Give him time to actually make the good team now that that is finally the focus because it clearly wasn't before.

• Like 1