Nolan Arenado upset with Rockies, wants out amid already swirling trade rumors

SilverBullet

Nolan Arenado makes a statement saying he feels disrespected by the Rockies, not even so much because of the trade rumors surrounding him but more so because the team has done almost literally nothing to try and improve from their 91 loss 2019 season, not having made a single MLB trade nor signed a single free agent. After signing a massive contract last year he was promised a team trying to contend and the team is already not delivering and now he wants out.

[MEDIA=twitter]1219521714624831488[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]1219502276823269376[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Safe to say he'll be playing elsewhere.

Honestly though, the season isn't that far away so I'm not so sure of it. It probably depends on how strongly the Rockies hold their ground on his return. Do they rush him out for a lesser return or do they wait until they get what they want? Because of the timing where it's almost February it's not guaranteed he's gone that soon.

This situation and the Stanton situation makes me think... fans get upset when their team doesn't lock up their star player for over a decade but look how so many of these things end... I'm starting to wonder why any team that isn't overflowing with money would ever bother extending their franchise player ever again. Teams that don't do this get ridiculed but I'm thinking they're actually dodging major bullets because most of these massive contracts end in a disaster.

The players should know the contract was only guaranteed to the money and not guaranteed to the wins, and they shouldn't be greedy to want both.

This is not how it works. During negotiations the Rockies told Arenado they would do their part to keep the team competitive around him and a year later and they haven't done anything to do that. If Arenado only wanted the guaranteed money he could have waited until free agency but he clearly wanted to stay in Colorado on the condition of them being competitive at the very least for the three seasons before his opt out. Of course the team doesn't have to keep their word but if they don't you can't blame Arenado for being upset especially this soon.

It was the same with Stanton but with Stanton at least the team tried for three seasons to stay competitive and when things changed it was because a new owner came in and wanted change so at the very least Loria can say he kept his word to Stanton by trying to be competitive while he was still the owner.

• Like 2

This is not how it works. During negotiations the Rockies told Arenado they would do their part to keep the team competitive around him and a year later and they haven't done anything to do that. If Arenado only wanted the guaranteed money he could have waited until free agency but he clearly wanted to stay in Colorado on the condition of them being competitive at the very least for the three seasons before his opt out. Of course the team doesn't have to keep their word but if they don't you can't blame Arenado for being upset especially this soon.

It was the same with Stanton but with Stanton at least the team tried for three seasons to stay competitive and when things changed it was because a new owner came in and wanted change so at the very least Loria can say he kept his word to Stanton by trying to be competitive while he was still the owner.

Maybe the teams always deceiving their franchise players to extend them …

What's he worth with that contract

That worth scales with how much the Rockies are willing to pay off the contract after a trade.

0 - not much but maybe at best one top 100 prospect?

20% - something decent, maybe two top 100s now

50% - might be able to sneak into the top 25 here.

100% - "here have my wife"

This situation and the Stanton situation makes me think... fans get upset when their team doesn't lock up their star player for over a decade but look how so many of these things end... I'm starting to wonder why any team that isn't overflowing with money would ever bother extending their franchise player ever again. Teams that don't do this get ridiculed but I'm thinking they're actually dodging major bullets because most of these massive contracts end in a disaster.

Honestly, this is kinda on the Rockies for literally doing NOTHING this winter.

How they magically think they can roll out virtually the same trash team from last year and be a playoff contender is fucking mornoic.