Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Elieser Hernandez

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

This is what I was wondering. Was there a better option at the time that they overlooked?

It would be really lucky to pick up the good players like Uggla and Bour in the rule V.

Just now, taiwanmarlin said:

It would be really lucky to pick up the good players like Uggla and Bour in the rule V.

Yeah players are left unprotected for a reason. You're not going to get an obviously great talent via Rule V. It is about trying a guy out and hoping he clicks with very little risk involved.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yeah players are left unprotected for a reason. You're not going to get an obviously great talent via Rule V. It is about trying a guy out and hoping he clicks with very little risk involved.

I think this draft system was more of give these players a different environment to restart their career.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, Erick said:

The point is he doesn’t have a plus pitch from what I can see. 

These guys are scouted before they’re taken in the Rule V.

I agree.  They usually have a least one plus tool and that's why teams take a flier on them.  I don't see one plus pitch with Hernandez.  At least Graves throws 95 MPH.  Hernandez tops out at 92.  I know we have nothing to lose but we could at least give another young guy an opportunity.

• Like 2

His changeup shows some potential and a 8.2 SwST% is not horrible although it's not good either.

A 5.05 K/9 and a 3.95 BB/9 is simply not going to cut it but he's young and there's no downside of throwing him out there every 5 days at this point in the season.

He has shown better strike out rates in the minors.

• Like 6

Just now, JFL19 said:

there's no downside of throwing him out there every 5 days at this point in the season.

Pretty much. They gain an organization piece if he spends the rest of the year on active roster and season is more than half over. Can always put him in AAA next season if needed. Depth is good and he's young enough to have potential.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFL19 said:

His changeup shows some potential and a 8.2 SwST% is not horrible although it's not good either.

A 5.05 K/9 and a 3.95 BB/9 is simply not going to cut it but he's young and there's no downside of throwing him out there every 5 days at this point in the season.

He has shown better strike out rates in the minors.

A good first post, I like it.

• Like 1

Them leaving Hernandez out to dry tells you about all you need to know.

If he was a truly important prospect that would have never happened.  

3 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Them leaving Hernandez out to dry tells you about all you need to know.

If he was a truly important prospect that would have never happened.  

No shit.