Sign in to follow this  
AeroFishOne

Manfred, The Commish

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts on Manfred are so far. There have been several things that he’s said and recommended that makes me shake my head but I recently saw his statement basically calling out Mike Trout for not promoting the game. 

To me it just seems the game is headed to another lockout. Tensions running high between league and Players and the league isn’t doing much to help their case.

Don't like him as a commissioner. Seems like an alright guy, just not a fan of his thought process.

Him calling out Trout was flat out bad.

Posted (edited)

Not a fan at all.

I don't like a lot of the changes that have been made - slide rules, intentional walks, etc.  They've created situations that are critical to the outcome of games for 100 years, and they've just written them off.

It took the replays a while to grow on me, but I'm good with them now.  The other rule changes, I won't be good with - they've changed the way the game is played (same thing they're doing in football).

Edited by cyoung (see edit history)

7 hours ago, cyoung said:

I don't like a lot of the changes that have been made - slide rules, intentional walks, etc.  They've created situations that are critical to the outcome of games for 100 years, and they've just written them off.

And now he openly discusses the idea of changing the rules for shifts.

Posted (edited)

I think they're overreacting with the Trout comments. He was asked a question and didn't say anything that wasn't true. 

Baseball is still a business especially relative to what Manfred's duties are and I'd be pretty sour too if my best individual product wasn't selling. 

Edited by SilverBullet1929 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Terrible commissioner.

I feel like if someone told him he'd get more fans if hitters used maracas instead of bats, this guy would consider it. He's probably pissed at Trout because Trout isn't willing to be a tool in his quest to increase attendance. Trout just wants to play baseball.

If Manfred wants to use Trout to promote baseball, then MLB should give Trout a contract that requires him to promote baseball. I would guess that there's nothing in his current playing contract with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim that requires him to do Manfred's job. 

Edited by Entendu (see edit history)

He was out of line with the Trout thing. Nearly every reporter has called him out on it even if it was in subtext. Angels had to release a statement defending him, something that shouldn't be necessary. Just one of his many missteps as commish.

I miss Bud Selig. Yeah I said it.

Saw a good tweet from someone on Twitter that basically said that it was ironic that Manfred mad about trout not selling the game when the mlb blacks out teams 12 hours away.

i can attest to this. As a fan in NC. The nearest team is approximately 6 hours away but yet Nationals, Orioles and Atlanta is blacked out. They want players to market themselves but when they show any form of individuality like with the cleats they put a stop to it. The whole protecting the catcher rule still pisses me off even thought it might have been Selina rule.

9 hours ago, AeroFishOne said:

Saw a good tweet from someone on Twitter that basically said that it was ironic that Manfred mad about trout not selling the game when the mlb blacks out teams 12 hours away.

i can attest to this. As a fan in NC. The nearest team is approximately 6 hours away but yet Nationals, Orioles and Atlanta is blacked out. They want players to market themselves but when they show any form of individuality like with the cleats they put a stop to it. The whole protecting the catcher rule still pisses me off even thought it might have been Selina rule.

The blackout rule is the most retarded thing that seriously needs to be corrected.

If you can the channel that provides the local team in your market then I can get it.  If you cannot, then shouldnt be blacked out.

he's a greedy pussy, he let New Era put their fucking logo on the official onfield hats. Bud Seleg was against this .

He's in favor to speed up the game with fucking clocks, well fuck that.

He wants to eliminate baseball logos that has nothing to do with racism, well fuck YOU!!!

I hope he's a gonner but the damage has been done