Sign in to follow this  
THRILLHO

Archer wants TB to expedite youth movemet

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/19/marc-topkin-rays-should-trade-chris-archer/

Interesting to see a player talk like this.  It isn’t unusual to see veteran players be vocal about wanting to win, or move to a winning team, but to see a guy go to the press and essentially lobby the team to move older guys more quickly seems to break from a norm. 

There’s not really a Winter 2017/2018 Marlins tie in here because the Rays and Marlins aren’t really in the same place on the competitive timeline.  But for all the conversation regarding Realmuto and whether or not he wanted/wants to be here there could be some takeaways.  Roster development is fluid.  Players can have a change of attitude.  I’m not going to do a deep internet dive to support this I’m going to guess that Archer had a less than enthusiastic reaction to the Rays offseason this past winter. 

I think it's a strange dynamic. The Rays even when they are bad, are thought to be much better when looking at peripherals. This is most illustrated when looking at things like third order winning percentage. For this reason guys aren't interested in "Win Now" Or "Trade me" it's more a situation where a guy like Archer has come to understand the way the Rays do business. And he would just prefer to have a more aggressive approach, than the subtle saving face model the Rays do now. 

The Rays are for me the perfect small market organization. They continue to have low payroll, and generally have a relatively good relationship with the players, this can best be seen by how many end up with long term contracts. With those good relationships they also get some free agents, and are able to continually put together winning teams. I think he (Archer) just wants the organization to go the extra step and give up a year of "competitive" play and takes some risks on guys a bit further from the majors so that they could compete with the piles of money being thrown at them by the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I think this is a strong statement to his trust of the management.

4 hours ago, 97marlin said:

I think it's a strange dynamic. The Rays even when they are bad, are thought to be much better when looking at peripherals. This is most illustrated when looking at things like third order winning percentage. For this reason guys aren't interested in "Win Now" Or "Trade me" it's more a situation where a guy like Archer has come to understand the way the Rays do business. And he would just prefer to have a more aggressive approach, than the subtle saving face model the Rays do now. 

The Rays are for me the perfect small market organization. They continue to have low payroll, and generally have a relatively good relationship with the players, this can best be seen by how many end up with long term contracts. With those good relationships they also get some free agents, and are able to continually put together winning teams. I think he (Archer) just wants the organization to go the extra step and give up a year of "competitive" play and takes some risks on guys a bit further from the majors so that they could compete with the piles of money being thrown at them by the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I think this is a strong statement to his trust of the management.

You have to shitting me!  That's a thing?  FML  I miss the good old days of batting averages and ERA!  LOL

5 hours ago, Rydawg said:

You have to shitting me!  That's a thing?  FML  I miss the good old days of batting averages and ERA!  LOL

It was developed by people who couldn't hit a f-ing baseball.

12 hours ago, Rydawg said:

I said it last week and I'll say it again. They invented so many stats at this point, that anyone can point to a acronym for why a team or player is bad or good. They just keep making them up and some swear by them.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I said it last week and I'll say it again. They invented so many stats at this point, that anyone can point to a acronym for why a team or player is bad or good. They just keep making them up and some swear by them.

I'm always preaching the benefits of POPAWOPBIP

Edited by Piazza31 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Apparently human emotions such as boredom and excitement can now be measured statistically as well.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

The actual attendance in 2017 wasn't much higher than this year, so I guess that team was only slightly less boring?

59 home runs less boring to be exact.

There's a stat for everything.

Edited by Piazza31 (see edit history)