Alfaro cleared to resume baseball activities

SonOfJack

I don't buy the talk of Cervelli having a chance to be the starter over Alfaro (that's just "spring training talk") but it is nice to have him as a more stable replacement if Alfaro isn't ready for Opening Day. Too many times, on every team, the catching depth is one good starter and then it immediately dips down to a backup who can't hit anything at the major league level and then anything after that is even worse. But with Cervelli the Marlins have a more reliable backup catcher who has had a productive career and is more than just "light hitting journeyman catcher who handles the pitching staff well."

I don't buy the talk of Cervelli having a chance to be the starter over Alfaro (that's just "spring training talk") but it is nice to have him as a more stable replacement if Alfaro isn't ready for Opening Day. Too many times, on every team, the catching depth is one good starter and then it immediately dips down to a backup who can't hit anything at the major league level and then anything after that is even worse. But with Cervelli the Marlins have a more reliable backup catcher who has had a productive career and is more than just "light hitting journeyman catcher who handles the pitching staff well."

I didn't realize there was talk of Cervelli potentially being the starter over Alfaro.

I thought the plan was always for Alfaro to start and Cervelli to backup. And obviously if Alfaro is out, Cervelli would be the starter until Alfaro returns.

I didn't realize there was talk of Cervelli potentially being the starter over Alfaro.

I thought the plan was always for Alfaro to start and Cervelli to backup. And obviously if Alfaro is out, Cervelli would be the starter until Alfaro returns.

As I said, it was more like "spring training talk" so it didn't seem serious but in interviews Cervelli said he was competing as if he was going to start ("It doesn't say backup on my jersey") although he was cool with being the backup. And Mattingly said he wasn't limiting Cervelli to being a backup if he produces. It was really just positive talk about Cervelli and how he can still contribute and that if Alfaro faltered Cervelli could get more starts than expected which isn't untrue but I think it's still clear that Alfaro is the starter first and it's more of a bonus that Cervelli is better than the typical weak backup catcher.

• Like 1

Interesting that the Tweet™ says "activities" and not "baseball activities" like usual. I wonder if Alfaro will be shooting threes, racing cars, dabbing in music videos, or going to the moon?

Dabbing in a racing car while shooting threes for a music video on the moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.