• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

What happens this offseason?

At first I thought this topic was too early to post but then I figured it's perfect to start predicting and then see what plays out as the season winds down...

What should be the Marlins plan this offseason in terms of constructing the 2019 team? Who stays, who goes, should their be additions and who should they be?

What do you think should happen, what do you think will actually happen, how would you build the 2019 team from this point on?

The baseball season will end and teams will not be playing games anymore, just like every other offseason, stupid. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

At first I thought this topic was too early to post but then I figured it's perfect to start predicting and then see what plays out as the season winds down...

What should be the Marlins plan this offseason in terms of constructing the 2019 team? Who stays, who goes, should their be additions and who should they be?

What do you think should happen, what do you think will actually happen, how would you build the 2019 team from this point on?

I predict they will continue to flail ineffectively while putting very little money into the team.

First, they will change the color scheme and create a hashtag that feels like a few college grads came up with it in a board room after pulling an allnighter on South Beach...my vote is "#yosoymiami" or "yosoymarlins". It needs to feel sort of offensive and a little off.

Next, they will pretend they are building toward the future by suggesting they will spend in the international draft and therefore we "shouldn't expect alot in free agency." While continuing to say, "get ready for big things #yosoymarlins."

Things will sound great. It might even feel electric...like something is brewing. After all, the marketing team ( 5-10 college grads making 30k and hoping to move up the ranks) will be commenting and posting on every website with "rumors." However, with every possible player in the top 10 we will inexplicably come up short. So to save face, we will grab several C prospects which we overspend on.

As for the draft, we will reach for a player that we could have held off on. I predict a lefty with a "live arm and control problems" that every other team sees as a potential 3 or 4 if everything breaks right.

Realmuto stays...he will get hurt and underperform in 2019.

Prado, Castro, Urena, DD, Conley, Bearclaw, and Straily are all gone. We will collect several 3rd and 4th round picks, international money, and over aged minor leaguers that haven't "figured it out" yet.

We will hit in the rule 5. A power bat with a high k rate to play the out field...he will eventual outplay one of Brinson or Sierra who will in turn begin their slow Hermida-like fade away into oblivian.

#yosoymarlins

Edited by Major-Minor (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

i mean JT and MAYBE castro (should be 2+ WAR player) are only tradable assets at this point. since castro is $$ I'd imagine they try to trade him.

If JT won't sign this off season they might as well trade him as he only has one more arb year after this one.

Do they even tender Straily (-.5 WAR) a contract at this point? Prob not if they didn't tender Bour one. They traded Castillo for him lol

The starting pitching is such a disaster. Is there anyone in the minors even worth a damn with a shot at starting? Alcantara is a RP (could be a very good one) but I wonder how long it will take them to figure that out. Hopefully Caleb Smith's career isn't over he is probably the most promising arm in the system. I do like Neidert has a great change and command. Will be curious to see how that 40 grade FB plays in the majors.

I'd love for them to go all in on Victor Victor.

For 2019, buy some low cost SPs, pray and hope to flip them at deadline (like rays did with eovaldi) and basically let the farm position players play to figure if they have anything.

They're stuck with Prado at this point because of his contract and he seems like a Jeter guy, but let brian anderson play 3b for fucks sake you.

There's a good chance they lose more games next season than this one

Unfortunately, there really isn't much to be excited about. None of those guys from the trades (except Caleb Smith) have done particularly well. Of course that can change and hopefully it does

Edited by pollythewog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

I predict they will continue to flail ineffectively while putting very little money into the team.

First, they will change the color scheme and create a hashtag that feels like a few college grads came up with it in a board room after pulling an allnighter on South Beach...my vote is "#yosoymiami" or "yosoymarlins". It needs to feel sort of offensive and a little off.

Next, they will pretend they are building toward the future by suggesting they will spend in the international draft and therefore we "shouldn't expect alot in free agency." While continuing to say, "get ready for big things #yosoymarlins."

Things will sound great. It might even feel electric...like something is brewing. After all, the marketing team ( 5-10 college grads making 30k and hoping to move up the ranks) will be commenting and posting on every website with "rumors." However, with every possible player in the top 10 we will inexplicably come up short. So to save face, we will grab several C prospects which we overspend on.

As for the draft, we will reach for a player that we could have held off on. I predict a lefty with a "live arm and control problems" that every other team sees as a potential 3 or 4 if everything breaks right.

Realmuto stays...he will get hurt and underperform in 2019.

Prado, Castro, Urena, DD, Conley, Bearclaw, and Straily are all gone. We will collect several 3rd and 4th round picks, international money, and over aged minor leaguers that haven't "figured it out" yet.

We will hit in the rule 5. A power bat with a high k rate to play the out field...he will eventual outplay one of Brinson or Sierra who will in turn begin their slow Hermida-like fade away into oblivian.

#yosoymarlins

I think you nailed it, no joke

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think JT, Castro, and Deets are gone.

C-

1B- Cooper

2nd- Diaz

SS- Riddle/Rojas

3B- Anderson (plz)

LF-

CF- Brinson

RF- Harrison (eventually)

SPs- Smith, Lopez, Sandy, Neidert, Richards

Fill in the gaps and replace the trash with whoever we get from the trades and cheap vets. It's going to be horrible, but we really need at least 2 of those SPs to take the next step, and you HAVE to hit on the JT trade or else this team won't compete for the forseeable future.

Edited by EricOwens! (see edit history)

2 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

I think JT, Castro, and Deets are gone.

C-

1B- Cooper

2nd- Diaz

SS- Riddle/Rojas

3B- Anderson (plz)

LF-

CF- Brinson

RF- Harrison (eventually)

SPs- Smith, Lopez, Sandy, Neidert, Chen

Fill in the gaps and replace the trash with whoever we get from the trades and cheap vets. It's going to be horrible, but we really need at least 2 of those SPs to take the next step, and you HAVE to hit on the JT trade or else this team won't compete for the forseeable future.

JT would sign.

It would be nice if Anderson could be the 3B of the future, but he seems much better defensively in the OF than at 3B to me. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Erick said:

It would be nice if Anderson could be the 3B of the future, but he seems much better defensively in the OF than at 3B to me. I could be wrong.

Fangraphs agrees with you so you're not wrong - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=18289&position=3B/OF#fielding

I still think you put him at 3B though and if "in a season, give or take" he isn't better, you can always kick him to the OF then. It's not like he is blocking anyone at 3B or RF at the moment, or will forget how to play defense in RF.

• Like 2