Jump to content
SilverBullet

Is the 2018 team worse than the 1998 team?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You knew this back then and it helped you enjoy that season better? 

I recall exactly 0 people who watched the 1998 team and said this team has so many future stars. Maybe a few of them did turn out to be big players, but at the time it looked like a team with no future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I recall exactly 0 people who watched the 1998 team and said this team has so many future stars. Maybe a few of them did turn out to be big players, but at the time it looked like a team with no future.

That’s not true. We received many top prospects from the fire sale that had good minor league numbers and draft status. A lot of the pitchers we got back had exciting stuff and players like lee, Castillo, Lowell, etc were fun to watch. Even aj Burnett was throwing a version of a screwball back then.  

It was a bad team, but there were lots of more reasons to watch it. At least there were solid moves being made despite the circumstances for those moves. 2018 is like watching laundry dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dcapa424 said:

That’s not true. We received many top prospects from the fire sale that had good minor league numbers and draft status. A lot of the pitchers we got back had exciting stuff and players like lee, Castillo, Lowell, etc were fun to watch. Even aj Burnett was throwing a version of a screwball back then.  

It was a bad team, but there were lots of more reasons to watch it. At least there were solid moves being made despite the circumstances for those moves. 2018 is like watching laundry dry.

Hindsight is 20/20... you're basing this on how the 98 team eventually developed without knowing what will happen to the 2018 team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Hindsight is 20/20... you're basing this on how the 98 team eventually developed without knowing what will happen to the 2018 team. 

Nah, we had top prospects in lee, castillo, Lowell, 5 tool prospects Wilson, Floyd and lots of pitchers with exciting stuff, even if they didn’t pan out. We were also clearly making lots of moves rebuilding with dombrowski at the helm.  

2018 has little bright spots outside of Realmuto. All of our pitchers suck except 2 or 3 with 1 of them about to have his arm fall off. 

2018 just a roster with dead weight... disappointing all around mostly because hardly any moves have been made/no trades happening with nobody wanting our garbage. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they're both pretty equal.  it's hard to compare the two because we KNOW how a bunch of guys from that season turned out when we don't know what will happen with this season. I went back and took a peek at the stats from that year though and the offense certainly seemed as it was a bit more entertaining to watch than this singles-built juggernaut they've assembled.  Again though, both seasons were garbage fires.  I don't "favor" one over the other really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hovertical said:

it's hard to compare the two because we KNOW how a bunch of guys from that season turned out when we don't know what will happen with this season.

This right here exactly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed bits and pieces of this season. Had some pitchers emerge that looked good before getting injured [Caleb Smith] or just flat out imploding [Bearclaw ............]. I was too young to remember the 1998 season, so I'll compare it more to the ones I do remember, 2006 and 2013.

06 team, similar to the 98 team, had a lot of awesome future talent, which can of course be seen in hindsight - however, that team was way better than it should have been in 2006. Starting off 11-31 and then having a point where we actually were leading the Wild Card in September, that was, honestly, one of my favorite seasons as a fan. 2007 had high expectations that, unfortunately due to injury, fell flat.

2013 team, only two reasons to watch [Stanton and Jose]. Then Stanton missed a month and a half with his at the time yearly leg injury, but thankfully they brought up Ozuna, so at least for me, it gave me another reason to watch. Yelich later came up, gave another reason. And those four gave hope for the future. Marisnick as well at the time, although we knew that would be a logjam in the outfield unless one of them moved to first base [or as it turned out, got traded for subpar pitching help the next year ...]. I would have loved an outfield of Yelich - Marisnick - Ozuna from left to right with Stanton manning first. Would also have been fine with Stanton - Marisnick - Ozuna and Yelich at first, given Yelich had the weakest arm of the quartet. However, you sacrifice range in that case.

Either way ... both teams gave hope for the future. Right now, I'm uncertain for this one. I like a few of the guys we got back in the trades, but some might be a ways away still. Some [Brinson] still have a bit to figure out. Will all be interesting next couple years, however, seeing how the free agency processes go, when Jeter and Co decide to open up the wallet, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...