SilverBullet

Is the 2018 team worse than the 1998 team?

On 9/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, dcapa424 said:

That’s not true. We received many top prospects from the fire sale that had good minor league numbers and draft status. A lot of the pitchers we got back had exciting stuff and players like lee, Castillo, Lowell, etc were fun to watch. Even aj Burnett was throwing a version of a screwball back then. 

All of the 03 core guys that were on the Marlins in 98 were pretty bad that season (Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez). Burnett was still in the minors. High profile prospects like Wilson and Dempster also had really bad debuts that year. The rotation looked like trash but at least guys like Kotsay, Floyd, Dunwoody and Redmond looked somewhat promising. I don't remember being too optimistic about the future after that season but they did really well in 99 by acquiring Lowell and Penny, drafting Beckett and signing Miggy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MiguelDontrelle said:

All of the 03 core guys that were on the Marlins in 98 were pretty bad that season (Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez). Burnett was still in the minors. High profile prospects like Wilson and Dempster also had really bad debuts that year. The rotation looked like trash but at least guys like Kotsay, Floyd, Dunwoody and Redmond looked somewhat promising. I don't remember being too optimistic about the future after that season but they did really well in 99 by acquiring Lowell and Penny, drafting Beckett and signing Miggy.

In other words, the 2018 team and the 98 team were pretty much the same at the time: Total trash with questionable hope for the future. Can't just retroactively say the 1998 team was fun because of the championship 5 years later... Nobody in 1998 was enjoying it knowing there was a championship coming 5 years later. 

This would be like saying "I was in a horrible car wreck but it was fun because I had ice cream the next week." 

40 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This would be like saying "I was in a horrible car wreck but it was fun because I had ice cream the next week."

That's literally the only reason I get into car accidents - to get ice cream the following week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's literally the only reason I get into car accidents - to get ice cream the following week.

Remind me not to get into a car with you. 

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Are you lactose intolerant or something?

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

what street you're working on?

2 minutes ago, dcapa424 said:

Lol goes straight through the guy

So does what I'll be running into next week - he's lucky he'll miss it!

9 hours ago, MiguelDontrelle said:

You’re forgetting a full season of Livan and renteria. Floyd, kotsay, mantei, some sheff, zeile, CJ, counsel and even a week of Piazza (piazza =pdub + Lowell) It wasn’t awesome to watch, but definitely entertaining to see what was going to happen. Not to mention we had top prospects Booty (ugggh), Medina, henriquez, Fontenot, ludwick (part of McGwire trade) among others who were VERY highly touted at the time to keep things interesting. Also, we didn’t sign miggy in 1999. That was 1996 I believe when he was like 15 years old or something ridiculous like that. 1998 was interesting. 2018 is boring af. 

4 hours ago, dcapa424 said:

You’re forgetting a full season of Livan and renteria. Floyd, kotsay, mantei, some sheff, zeile, CJ, counsel and even a week of Piazza (piazza =pdub + Lowell) It wasn’t awesome to watch, but definitely entertaining to see what was going to happen. Not to mention we had top prospects Booty (ugggh), Medina, henriquez, Fontenot, ludwick (part of McGwire trade) among others who were VERY highly touted at the time to keep things interesting. Also, we didn’t sign miggy in 1999. That was 1996 I believe when he was like 15 years old or something ridiculous like that. 1998 was interesting. 2018 is boring af. 

We got Lowell from the Yankees in the 99 offseason. Cabrera was 16 in 99.

I definitely disagree that the 98 team was fun or interesting or whatever. I don't really remember any "rebuilding with interesting prospects" narratives around the team back then, it was just "the WS team was too expensive so they had to trade everyone and now they're gonna be bad for a long time." The young WS holdovers (Counsell, Livan, Renteria) had really boring years. The pitching staff was a disaster (3 guys with 10+ starts and ERAs over 6). It was grim, especially coming off a WS.

• Like 1