Which 15 Players Should The Marlins Protect In An Expansion Draft? - MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/marlins-expansion-draft.html

What do you guys think and who would you protect?

I went with Dickerson (we could possibly trade him for something of some value), Cooper (i think he’s gonna be a great DH), Stanek, Berti (I see him becoming a Miguel Rojas kind of piece), and Brinson cause of what was given up to acquire him. Not a huge fan of much of the other pitching so I went mostly position players.

Imagine if the Marlins kept Brinson, over another decent player that we lose out on, and he STILL doesn't work out? Nah, I'm getting rid of Brinson...

My list was: Cooper, Berti, Harold, Elieser, Dickerson

Imagine if the Marlins kept Brinson, over another decent player that we lose out on, and he STILL doesn't work out? Nah, I'm getting rid of Brinson...

My list was: Cooper, Berti, Harold, Elieser, Dickerson

But by that logic, imagine they let him go and he realizes his potential? He destroyed the minors, the skills are there, it’s just an approach issue and that’s what he specially modified this spring and the results were there. The possibility of him reaching his potential is worth infinitely more than Elieser Hernandez and even Harold so there’s no way Brinson doesn’t get protected in my opinion.

I mean, it's a moot point anyway. Any sort of expansion draft would be years away, at which point, we'd have figured out if Brinson's adjustments have actually produced results or not.

I mean, it's a moot point anyway. Any sort of expansion draft would be years away, at which point, we'd have figured out if Brinson's adjustments have actually produced results or not.

Yeah of course it’s just more of a hypothetical food for thought assuming an expansion actually did happen.

But by that logic, imagine they let him go and he realizes his potential? He destroyed the minors, the skills are there, it’s just an approach issue and that’s what he specially modified this spring and the results were there. The possibility of him reaching his potential is worth infinitely more than Elieser Hernandez and even Harold so there’s no way Brinson doesn’t get protected in my opinion.

weren't the results there the previous Spring as well? - and then he was putrid once the games mattered again. I almost want to say he was good the Spring before that too - but i'm not going back to dig that turd up.

weren't the results there the previous Spring as well? - and then he was putrid once the games mattered again. I almost want to say he was good the Spring before that too - but i'm not going back to dig that turd up.

Yes, he had good stats all three springs.

Here's the difference.

2018: 17 K / 58 AB (29.3%)

2019: 18 K / 54 AB (33.3%)

2020: 3 K / 29 AB (10.3%)

Yes smaller sample size but doubtful, unless something went terribly wrong, that he was going to strike out around 15 more times in his next 25-30 ABs. His approach changed.

Ex

Yes, he had good stats all three springs.

Here's the difference.

2018: 17 K / 58 AB (29.3%)

2019: 18 K / 54 AB (33.3%)

2020: 3 K / 29 AB (10.3%)

Yes smaller sample size but doubtful, unless something went terribly wrong, that he was going to strike out around 15 more times in his next 25-30 ABs. His approach changed.

exactly, his issues in the MLB are not skill-related, they’re an issue with how he approached at bats. Which is the exact thing he said he changed this spring and so far the results had shown that it was working (granted, in a small sample size)...so yeah, I’m gonna at least try to give him a chance to see if that fixes it cause I won’t want to see the same thing that’s happened plenty of times in the past where the marlins give up on guys too early and they go ball out on other teams when they make a slight adjustment to their approach. @hovertical

Ex

exactly, his issues in the MLB are not skill-related, they’re an issue with how he approached at bats. Which is the exact thing he said he changed this spring and so far the results had shown that it was working (granted, in a small sample size)...so yeah, I’m gonna at least try to give him a chance to see if that fixes it cause I won’t want to see the same thing that’s happened plenty of times in the past where the marlins give up on guys too early and they go ball out on other teams when they make a slight adjustment to their approach. @hovertical

He's starting to mature. Who knows if he'll ever reach expectations, but I expect him to be solid.

Monte Harrison may have big contact issues in the majors ... perhaps as poor as Brinson ... but everything else he brings to the field is vastly better than Brinson. So long, Lewis.

You don't protect Dickerson. An expansion team doesn't want his salary for next season.