Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

While it is unlikely it happens, I am not surprised to see them listed and not as the worst odds. I think they may talk to him, but it'd take a friendly deal I assume which I would imagine he wouldn't go for.

He’s there obviously because he is from Miami.  Nothing else about it makes sense though. The timing isn’t right.  The contract wouldn’t be right for where we are with the rebuild.  He doesn’t seem like the type of guy Jeter would want to sign if The stuff he was pulling in the playoffs is any indication

13 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

He’s there obviously because he is from Miami.  Nothing else about it makes sense though. The timing isn’t right.  The contract wouldn’t be right for where we are with the rebuild.  He doesn’t seem like the type of guy Jeter would want to sign if The stuff he was pulling in the playoffs is any indication

He'd be the Jason Werth guy you sign before you're ready but do it anyway to show things are changing.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

He'd be the Jason Werth guy you sign before you're ready but do it anyway to show things are changing.

Wouldn't surprise me. I doubt it happens though because I can't see them topping other offers and he'll likely go where the $$$ is the best even if he's from the area.

I think back to the JD Martinez free agency. He was another local kid and MVP-caliber talent.

The Marlins clearly weren’t in a position to chase him. But because his market was cooler than expected, the opportunity was there to pursue a value deal. 

If Machado really turned off suitors in the postseason, and the Phillies blow their load with Harper, maybe it makes sense for the Marlins to test the waters? They could backload the deal to match with the naming rights and new TV contract.

The fit is obvious on and off the field. It would be a year too early. But if you can get a reasonable deal in a cool market, why not?

Edited by DMoney (see edit history)

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This makes sense but I still dont think it happens. I also think his attitude issues are a huge turn off in multiple ways. As for money I think he'd take a slight discount to play in Miami if the team was closer to contention. At his age he probably wants meaningful games more than money right now. 

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)

5 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

These are fun.  The fact the marlins are mentioned at all makes them hard to take seriously but they’re still fun

It seems the Phillies would got everyone…

7 hours ago, DMoney said:

I think back to the JD Martinez free agency. He was another local kid and MVP-caliber talent.

The Marlins clearly weren’t in a position to chase him. But because his market was cooler than expected, the opportunity was there to pursue a value deal. 

If Machado really turned off suitors in the postseason, and the Phillies blow their load with Harper, maybe it makes sense for the Marlins to test the waters? They could backload the deal to match with the naming rights and new TV contract.

The fit is obvious on and off the field. It would be a year too early. But if you can get a reasonable deal in a cool market, why not?

I don’t mind if they pursue Machado. I think it would be a great signal to the fans.

However, do folks really think this team is a year away from a big signing, implying they may compete the year after next? You’re not the only one saying this kind of thing.

Realistically, they will probably lose 100 games next year. If several players develop as we hope, they can get close to .500 in 2020. 2021 is the earliest I think they can dream of a playoff spot. Of course I’d love to be wrong. But I’m not seeing it at the moment.

Edited by mystikol87
Add info (see edit history)

9 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

I don’t mind if they pursue Machado. I think it would be a great signal to the fans.

However, do folks really think this team is a year away from a big signing, implying they may compete the year after next? You’re not the only one saying this kind of thing.

Realistically, they will probably lose 100 games next year. If several players develop as we hope, they can get close to .500 in 2020. 2021 is the earliest I think they can dream of a playoff spot. Of course I’d love to be wrong. But I’m not seeing it at the moment.

I think people are targeting 2020 because of revenue. New TV deal, projected new naming rights deal, Prado and Castro off the books.

That would be the first year we make a Hot Stove splash.

• Like 2