• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

1. Evaluate potential Realmuto trade partners and check their farm system.

2. Check the pitchers as a NRI.

3. Sell Castro and Straily.

4. Listen the trade proposal (DD, Prado, etc.)

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Ok I wanna know what they're gonna put there... and also it's a minor thing but it's pretty cool to see them making changes to the ballpark literally on the first day of their offseason. It makes it seem like they've been anxious to start this next phase and it makes me very curious to the aesthetic changes coming for next season. 

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see.  Maybe a high top like seating area or something?  Could be neat.

---

I also remember they were moving ticket holders in the lower area near the dugouts, so I think those are changing too - to fewer, but larger/plushier chairs if I had to guess.

I'm guessing overall capacity may stay about the same (37,000), but with a lot more standing room only (currently 1,000) and less than the 36,000 seats than we have now.

4 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Hopefully announcing the formal logo/uniform change.

Another interesting thing to note - ALL seat row endcaps have the current (but colorless) logo on them. If/when the logo is changed, these will either need to be replaced with pieces with the new logo, or they'll need to be covered up.

I have a hard time believing that they'll go through all this effort of re-configuring seating sections, installing new seats (in certain sections), etc. just to next year then cover up and/or replace the end caps to change the logo next year.

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I have a hard time believing that they'll go through all this effort of re-configuring seating sections, installing new seats (in certain sections), etc. just to next year then cover up and/or replace the end caps to change the logo next year.

They won't install new seats yet. Any configuration will be removing seats to create standing room areas or similar and will likely be completely without any logos.

Posted (edited)

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article219103865.html

The Herald is making it sound like they're gonna look to upgrade this team to be better next year. They said "Don’t expect many of those same players to be back in 2019."

I don't see that happening, or at least not exactly like that. The entire team is actually due back next year... they don't have a single pending free agent. 

I think they'll stay the course and only make upgrades where it's obviously needed like getting a clear cut starting first baseman and, well, that's about it. The rest of the team is intact beyond that.

I think they'll focus more on winning next season in the sense of cutting/demoting people who aren't helping them get wins but they're definitely not "going for it" by adding anyone major. They're probably not "tanking" next season so they will make moderate improvements but they aren't contending either so why wouldn't these same players be back? Anyone who gets cut from here on out just isn't part of the long term plan here anymore. It's exactly like when Bour was traded. So I expect the same.

Here's Mattingly basically repeating my point:

“Obviously, we did some things this year where it wasn’t necessary that you had to produce to be here,” Mattingly said. “But moving forward I have the sense that’s going to change. If you don’t produce, it’s not going to be a year where we’ll let you keep developing. At some point, you’re going to have to produce.”

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

They won't install new seats yet. Any configuration will be removing seats to create standing room areas or similar and will likely be completely without any logos.

It sounds like they're re-configuring the lower bowl near the dugouts, though, as they were relocating ticket holders supposedly because there would be fewer seats available in those areas (meaning fewer, bigger seats).

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Hopefully announcing the formal logo/uniform change.

I think most of us would be happy if they just went back to the old uniforms. These current unis and the current color scheme are such garbage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bazen said:

If we being 100% serious I honestly only see minor league deals and trades this offseason. Realmuto maybe getting an extension but that’s about it. 

Do we even want to extend Realmuto at this point? I mean, yeah, he's awesome, but he's a 27-year-old catcher (will be 28 by opening day) on a team that likely isn't going to be ready to contend in the near future. Might as well sell him off for a big return now.