• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

Just a thought, in a hypothetical situation where Loria still owned the team but the Marlins were in the exact same situation as now, at the start of a rebuild and coming off an almost 100 loss season... Loria would have tried to get Machado now right? It sure seems like one of his "big splash with poor timing that we're gonna regret later" moves.

And from Machado's perspective I'm sure they'll say he'd prefer to go to a contender over us but think about it this way... what's 1 or 2 more losing seasons if you're gonna get a longterm contract and big money to be the star on your hometown team?

If Machado truly believes in Jeter's plan and believes he makes this team a winner faster then he would still be getting everything he wants here just that the winning seasons would be delayed a bit.

One can also remind him that signing with a 2019 contender can also be a disaster if that team falls apart, like the Royals and Mets did, and then he spends many many years on a losing team. So signing with an immediate contender isn't always the way to go for a longterm contract. Jeter could probably make a convincing argument that signing here gives Machado more years on a winning team as long as he can be patient at the start. 

...damn you know what, somebody get me Machado on the phone, I gotta talk to him. 

• Haha 1

Machado recently said this:

"My home is in Miami, so it was different having my family and friends three hours later when I'd talk to them after games," he said -- but he thoroughly enjoyed his experience in L.A., leaving him open to a number of options as he contemplates his future.

"I don't think switching leagues is as big a deal as it used to be," Machado said. "Both leagues are different, but at the end of the day, you still have to hit the baseball that's coming at you the same way. I'll feel good no matter which league I'm playing in."

The size of the city is also unlikely to be an overriding factor for Machado, who pointed out that recent World Series winners have come from both big and small markets.

"I think as long as the fans are behind the team and you have a team that's going to do everything they can to win, then that's all that counts," Machado said. "Championship teams come from all over, like Kansas City from a couple years ago and Boston this year, so it can happen."

If they were a piece or two away from having a shot at the playoffs then I'd roll the dice on him. Otherwise? Nah, pass. I know he's tried to "clarify" the hustle comments but that's largely because he knows that hurt his value a bit and made some teams wary.  Eyes don't lie though when it comes to lazy play, which he definitely showed, in the playoffs and in the WS of all places.  If you aren't motivated to bust your ass in the WS then you sure as shit are going to be lazy during the regular season too and I had enough of that with Hanley. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Just a thought, in a hypothetical situation where Loria still owned the team but the Marlins were in the exact same situation as now, at the start of a rebuild and coming off an almost 100 loss season... Loria would have tried to get Machado now right? It sure seems like one of his "big splash with poor timing that we're gonna regret later" moves.

I just can't even see that as being a hypothetical situation because I don't see Loria having jettisoned the offense prior to last season starting.  I don't believe he would have invested in Machado either simply because they have way too many holes in the lineup and even he would realize adding Machado at this point would be lost money.

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

If they were a piece or two away from having a shot at the playoffs then I'd roll the dice on him. Otherwise? Nah, pass. I know he's tried to "clarify" the hustle comments but that's largely because he knows that hurt his value a bit and made some teams wary.  Eyes don't lie though when it comes to lazy play, which he definitely showed, in the playoffs and in the WS of all places.  If you aren't motivated to bust your ass in the WS then you sure as shit are going to be lazy during the regular season too and I had enough of that with Hanley. 

Yeah, they’re about 15-20 pieces away so it’s not a good idea.

Tbh I wasn't thinking we will or should get him, I was reacting to the idea that we're like 4th best odds to get him and it made me think if he would actually ever come here and then I realized it wasn't crazy to think he would. But I think the timing is bad, his attitude questions would give Jeter serious doubt, and I think this is one of those things where Jeter would make a stronger statement by not signing him than by signing him because it wouldn't look like a Loria style impulse move. 

14 minutes ago, hovertical said:

100% with Hanley. The play where he booted the ball and made an ass of himself did him in for me. Don’t want that type of player on our team.

If you want to use the quote @SonOfJack posted and read between the lines it sounds like his values are time zone. Competition, and an energized base. Obviously the team has to be able to pay him. 

So maybe the Phillies are a good fit.  Seems like the Nats would be focusing on retaining Harper rather than putting a package together for Machado. The Braves?