• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

5 minutes ago, Valid said:

I think most of us would be happy if they just went back to the old uniforms.

Don't hold your breath on this happening. It's more likely to expect something new that is inspired by the old look with more traditional design aspects than the current look. If we're lucky the old uniforms become a regularly scheduled throwback but they won't just revert to the old uniforms.

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Don't hold your breath on this happening. It's more likely to expect something new that is inspired by the old look with more traditional design aspects than the current look. If we're lucky the old uniforms become a regularly scheduled throwback but they won't just revert to the old uniforms.

This.  I look forward to seeing an updated version of the original logo.

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This.  I look forward to seeing an updated version of the original logo.

Same here. I honestly don't want the pin stripes to come back. I think tweaking something like the 25th year anniversary and going somewhere in that direction would nice. I think many of us would like teal in some fashion. Them doing Throwbacks though is something we talked about for years, ala what the Diamondbacks are doing now on Thursdays.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article219103865.html

The Herald is making it sound like they're gonna look to upgrade this team to be better next year. They said "Don’t expect many of those same players to be back in 2019."

I don't see that happening, or at least not exactly like that. The entire team is actually due back next year... they don't have a single pending free agent. 

I think they'll stay the course and only make upgrades where it's obviously needed like getting a clear cut starting first baseman and, well, that's about it. The rest of the team is intact beyond that.

I think they'll focus more on winning next season in the sense of cutting/demoting people who aren't helping them get wins but they're definitely not "going for it" by adding anyone major. They're probably not "tanking" next season so they will make moderate improvements but they aren't contending either so why wouldn't these same players be back? Anyone who gets cut from here on out just isn't part of the long term plan here anymore. It's exactly like when Bour was traded. So I expect the same.

Here's Mattingly basically repeating my point:

“Obviously, we did some things this year where it wasn’t necessary that you had to produce to be here,” Mattingly said. “But moving forward I have the sense that’s going to change. If you don’t produce, it’s not going to be a year where we’ll let you keep developing. At some point, you’re going to have to produce.”

Wow. Had no idea they didn't have a pending free agent. I think they should non-tender some players and like mentioned in that article they should cut ties with Dietrich and Straily. Their trade value is minimal and it doesn't make sense to commit another $7-8 million on those two players.

Excited to see Urena, Alcantara, Caleb Smith pitch next year. You add Chen obviously and then you have other guys like Pablo Lopez, Richards and more. Their bullpen needs to be addressed along with their hitting. Brinson needs to have a bounce back year. Prado is gonna be back as well and more than likely at 1st Base. Anderson did OK at 3rd base but did incredible at RF defensively.

44 minutes ago, Valid said:

Do we even want to extend Realmuto at this point? I mean, yeah, he's awesome, but he's a 27-year-old catcher (will be 28 by opening day) on a team that likely isn't going to be ready to contend in the near future. Might as well sell him off for a big return now.

Why not try to extend him? I honestly wouldn't do more than 5 years on that contract, but he is worth it IMO. If he truly doesn't wanna be here then we certainly work on trading him.

44 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Wow. Had no idea they didn't have a pending free agent. I think they should non-tender some players and like mentioned in that article they should cut ties with Dietrich and Straily. Their trade value is minimal and it doesn't make sense to commit another $7-8 million on those two players.

Excited to see Urena, Alcantara, Caleb Smith pitch next year. You add Chen obviously and then you have other guys like Pablo Lopez, Richards and more. Their bullpen needs to be addressed along with their hitting. Brinson needs to have a bounce back year. Prado is gonna be back as well and more than likely at 1st Base. Anderson did OK at 3rd base but did incredible at RF defensively.

I don't think you just dump Dietrich and Straily for nothing, though.

Prado can't be counted on for anything at this point.  Anything beyond 5 games will be impressive.

53 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Why not try to extend him? I honestly wouldn't do more than 5 years on that contract, but he is worth it IMO. If he truly doesn't wanna be here then we certainly work on trading him.

He is worth it in a vacuum for sure, but the question is, are we going to be ready to seriously contend during that time? We badly need to restock our farm system, and he has a ton of trade value.

There's no good reason to non-tender DD and Straily. The team isn't strapped for cash so if they do it for financial reasons, that money needs to be spent elsewhere or they are just being cheap.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Valid said:

He is worth it in a vacuum for sure, but the question is, are we going to be ready to seriously contend during that time? We badly need to restock our farm system, and he has a ton of trade value.

You offer him something fair first and if he declines then yes you milk him for the biggest trade return possible. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

You offer him something fair first and if he declines then yes you milk him for the biggest trade return possible. 

I wouldn't be opposed to trading JT at this point (due to his primary position which is also why he's so valuable) but i really DON'T trust their ability to judge talent and thus get a fair return.