• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

I feel like Marwin Gonlazes makes so much sense for the Marlins - their Jason Werth. While he would be a great leader in the club house, Marwin can move around the dimond and OF when prospects are being promoted to the majors. 

51 minutes ago, B1az3 said:

I feel like Marwin Gonlazes makes so much sense for the Marlins - their Jason Werth. While he would be a great leader in the club house, Marwin can move around the dimond and OF when prospects are being promoted to the majors. 

Supposedly 29 of 30 teams had interest in Marwin this off-season, wonder which the one is.

I'd reference a user here, but I don't want to make him cry again so I won't.

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

wonder which the one is.

I imagine Houston, since they're letting him go.

Just now, Michael said:

I imagine Houston, since they're letting him go.

Not necessarily. They didn't offer the qualifying offer which made sense, but they may want him back at a lower rate.

7 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Not necessarily. They didn't offer the qualifying offer which made sense, but they may want him back at a lower rate.

Given how incredible and aggressive their analytics department is, I'm sure they saw reason to not bring him back. Just looking at the base stats, his production dropped off heavily in 2018 compared to 2017. OBP went down 53 points, slugging 121 points. Just not good. Although to be fair, if you take out 2017, his 2018 numbers are a bit closer to his career norms.

His versatility is huge. Last season he played everywhere on the field [albeit some places briefly] except pitcher and catcher. Four positions with at least 24 games, though, and he did rather decent at each spot. Not amazing, not going to win a gold glove, but serviceable.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

So you're saying the cheap Marlins are possibly trying to sign a veteran free agent then that will earn more than the vet minimum? That'd be twice we heard that in 1 day. Relax @Michael

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Given how incredible and aggressive their analytics department is, I'm sure they saw reason to not bring him back. Just looking at the base stats, his production dropped off heavily in 2018 compared to 2017. OBP went down 53 points, slugging 121 points. Just not good. Although to be fair, if you take out 2017, his 2018 numbers are a bit closer to his career norms.

His versatility is huge. Last season he played everywhere on the field [albeit some places briefly] except pitcher and catcher. Four positions with at least 24 games, though, and he did rather decent at each spot. Not amazing, not going to win a gold glove, but serviceable.

Ya they dont see him as an 18 mil per year player?

https://theathletic.com/768612/2019/01/15/rosenthal-why-the-braves-may-be-hamstrung-more-brewers-movement-perspective-on-dj-lemahieu-signing/

Ken Rosenthal at the Athletic said the marlins plan on spending this offseason, and are interested in signing/acquiring a left handed bat of some sort.

He mentioned maybe trading for the Brewers’ Eric Thames as a possibility.

Others mentioned:

OF Carlos Gonzalez

OF Curtis Granderson

OF Nick Markakis

OF Gerardo Parra

1B Lucas Duda

1B Logan Morrison

IF Neil Walker.

He also pointed out the Marlins wouldn't be the first choice for any of them, but they may become an option for these guys as positions on contenders disappear.

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

https://theathletic.com/768612/2019/01/15/rosenthal-why-the-braves-may-be-hamstrung-more-brewers-movement-perspective-on-dj-lemahieu-signing/

Ken Rosenthal at the Athletic said the marlins plan on spending this offseason, and are interested in signing/acquiring a left handed bat of some sort.

He mentioned maybe trading for the Brewers’ Eric Thames as a possibility.

Others mentioned:

OF Carlos Gonzalez

OF Curtis Granderson

OF Nick Markakis

OF Gerardo Parra

1B Lucas Duda

1B Logan Morrison

IF Neil Walker.

He also pointed out the Marlins wouldn't be the first choice for any of them, but they may become an option for these guys as positions on contenders disappear.

Sign all of Brad Miller, Matt Davidson, And Marwin Gonzalez. The first two should be cheap, and Gonzalez can play most positions.

I was about to say Curtis Granderson or LoMo (nostalgia bonus) would be solid signings.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Curtis Granderson fully intends to continue his playing career in 2019.

There have been some whispers about retirement over the past couple of years, but Granderson isn't ready to walk away just yet. However, like many free agents around the game, he's still waiting for the right offer. Granderson turns 38 in March and batted .241/.351/.431 with 13 home runs over 403 plate appearances between the Blue Jays and Brewers in 2018. He could make for a useful left-handed bat for someone, most likely in a bench role.