• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, F***Jeter said:

Give me a single reason I should trust this front office?  Jeter couldn't manage PR his first year. 

Mike Hill is the worst GM in the sport 

All the guys in the Yelich trade are over 22 and struggling.

Jeter needs to write blanks checks and sign star power to compete here in Miami.

If he is worried about taking a loss well then he should have opened a steakhouse in NY and stayed away.

You seem really fun. 

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Expensive teams don't always equal winning teams. 

yeah ask the Giants,Cubs and soon the Doyers

From the articles about the offseason it sure sounds like they are going to do what they did last offseason, which is probably deal some guys and not add any MLB FAs. So I hope you guys enjoy another excruciatingly bad team in 2019.

I still don't understand why they didn't trade Dietrich for something in July.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-plan-to-offer-extension-to-jt-realmuto/c-296997532

Hill on Realmuto:

"At the appropriate time, we'll get to his representative and see if we can do something longer-term than the two years," Hill said. "That time hasn't happened yet, but it's something we definitely want to pursue."

When is the appropriate time?  Shouldn't they be beating down his door?

---

Also from the article - Mattingly is back, but the coaching staff may or may not change, more might come next week.

---

A few other front office hires:

• As part of reshaping their amateur staff, the Marlins on Wednesday announced the hiring of Marti Wolever as senior advisor of amateur scouting, Mike Soper as regional supervisor and T.R. Lewis as special assignment scout.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

When is the appropriate time?  Shouldn't they be beating down his door?

Executing a borderline home invasion isn't the best way to convince a guy to wanna work for you long term.

But seriously, the appropriate time is usually right after the postseason ends to give guys time to unwind and maybe take a vacation with their families. JT just spent eight months with the team, let the guy breathe before breathing down his neck with this stuff. 

• Like 5

On 10/3/2018 at 8:47 PM, F***Jeter said:

Give me a single reason I should trust this front office?  Jeter couldn't manage PR his first year. 

Mike Hill is the worst GM in the sport 

All the guys in the Yelich trade are over 22 and struggling.

Jeter needs to write blanks checks and sign star power to compete here in Miami.

If he is worried about taking a loss well then he should have opened a steakhouse in NY and stayed away.

Jeter can "Hand Out" blank checks, but I'm sure theres a point where even his bank starts charging him over draft and bounced check fees.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 4:55 AM, taiwanmarlin said:

I don't know where to put this,so I post it over here,

Anybody know why a high school player would wear the Marlins uniform in a game ?

https://www.mlb.com/video/ealy-on-east-coast-pro/c-2353550983?tid=6479266

It's a high school showcase for hundreds of players to play in front of major league scouts. The kids are broken up into teams for the purpose of organizing the games and they're given major league uniforms basically just for fun and to look good too but they're not actually affiliated with the real teams. This must be really cool for them. Here's a picture of a recent "Marlins" team:

69b36882680a562254b104050a9773c7.jpg

Edited by SilverBullet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So an update on the ballpark renovations...

I decided to drive by after work and walk around the park and see what I could see.

I quickly realized I had never actually walked around the entire park (on the outside) before.  I discovered a few things I didn't know were there, namely the new brewery in the north west garage - I remember people mentioning it, but never knew where it was; and the retail space in the southwest garage facing the plaza - both storefronts empty of course, but I never knew it was there....I only knew of the retail on the north side of the northern garages.

t31Buj9.jpg

From the outside, it didn't seem like there's much in the way of renovations going on aside from general maintenance such as pressure cleaning the pathways.  The 5th base remains just a fancy tent - honestly I'd never seen it before either.

I went down there to try to peek inside, and more importantly to see if there was any sort of work on that northeast corner where they proposed moving the home run sculpture to.  There wasn't any work being done there, and the top of the sculpture was intact from what I could see from the outside (roof and windows were open).

Walking around further, in the southeast garage, there were stacks of something in the bottom floor - I'm not sure if it was fencing or construction materials.  It was too far away to tell what it was.  Also on the southeast corner of the park in the loading bays, I saw several of those Waste Management dumpster bag things filled with seats that have been removed.  Too bad they're just going to throw them away - I'd take a couple (not sure what I'd do with them, but I'd take them).

bBxIR5Z.jpg

Anyway, I didn't take any pictures, as they wouldn't have shown up well through the blue windows and distance, but the only interior changes I could see from the Clevelander area was down the 1st baseline in the upper corner where that previous video showed the guy taking out seats.  There were three sections extending from the baseline wall which had the top.....eh...10-20 rows (maybe?) removed.  There didn't seem to be any work done yet beyond removing the seats in that area.  Otherwise, I couldn't see any other changes from that vantage point.  I couldn't really see the second or upper deck, and I did not see any seats removed in the areas above the dugouts where they were moving ticket holders (and presumably making seating changes there too).

I may continue going every few weeks to see if I can see anything going on if anyone is actually interested.

• Like 3