Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea true but I think he meant the Mariners attract viewers who actually live in Japan, like to watch Ichiro back in the day. But nobody actually in Cuba is gonna watch the Marlins, for several reasons. 

From what I remember hearing from Jose's family it was pretty much listening to the radio and on a good night they could hear the Marlins games from a rooftop or something. It definitely wasn't as easy as turning on the ol' TV set.

59 minutes ago, hovertical said:

From what I remember hearing from Jose's family it was pretty much listening to the radio and on a good night they could hear the Marlins games from a rooftop or something. It definitely wasn't as easy as turning on the ol' TV set.

Not even getting into how many don't have TV sets and if they do how many can't get a Marlins game on their few channels but if they were to watch an MLB game they'd probably get a more recognized team anyways.

16 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh I hate this argument. Even the least watched MLB team gets an absolutely insane amount of eyeballs on them and their ballpark. It's still a major league baseball team, one of only 30. Countless businesses would love to pay to put their name on that building. There are smaller and less important venues than Marlins Park that already have naming rights so the lack of a Marlins fanbase is a poor excuse for why we don't yet have naming rights. 

what’s your theory on why there have been no naming rights for seven years? 

I think at first Loria wanted to keep the team name there ala Yankee Stadium and then who knows, maybe they were asking for too much money.

6 minutes ago, DTrain said:

Probably low on the priority list for Samson and then they probably tried to hold out for higher offers from whoever was interested and eventually just never finalized anything. Who knows if it's true but Samson said they were close to picking a sponsor but then the sale of the team was near so the team backed off to let the new owners decide who they wanted instead of forcing them to keep someone picked by Samson and Loria... which makes a lot of sense if true.

But overall I don't think the problem was not having any interested businesses just because they're the Marlins. I can understand if offers were lower because it's the Marlins but I can't believe that businesses didn't want their name on an MLB ballpark just because it was ours.

9 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I think at first Loria wanted to keep the team name there ala Yankee Stadium and then who knows, maybe they were asking for too much money.

Did Loria tell you this when he took you to Versailles?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Not even getting into how many don't have TV sets and if they do how many can't get a Marlins game on their few channels but if they were to watch an MLB game they'd probably get a more recognized team anyways.

MLB games aren't on in cuba. Usually they watch tape delayed games of the week, and the cuban stars are edited out of the telecast.

I really doubt theres cubans getting direct tv down there to grab Miami's signals.

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

No one wants to put their name on this building for a good price, and instead of settling for a crappy 25 year deal, they decided to wait it out.

Unlike our TV Deal. They learned from that and held off.

Plus, I bet Loria liked the name Marlins Park.

2 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

MLB games aren't on in cuba. Usually they watch tape delayed games of the week, and the cuban stars are edited out of the telecast.

I really doubt theres cubans getting direct tv down there to grab Miami's signals.

Yeah I knew it was something bad like this but didn't know for sure. Definitely not the same as the Mariners being marketed to people living in Japan.