Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

15 hours ago, hovertical said:

Would I be angry if they signed him? Nah.  I would just find it incredibly at odds with the message they've been trying to send and I do not see him coming even remotely close to living up to whatever contract he ends up signing (most FA's don't but then again most FA's aren't seeking Stanton-esque contracts). 

In the end I just really, really despise his work ethic after seeing him in the playoffs last year and feel he'd be an ill fit on this team with mostly "kids".

The only way we'd get him is if the other offers are really low and we happen to get him at "our" price (less than what Stanton had left), otherwise, he's reportedly going to the highest bidder, and we certainly won't be that outside of the crazy "lowball" scenario.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only way we'd get him is if the other offers are really low and we happen to get him at "our" price (less than what Stanton had left), otherwise, he's reportedly going to the highest bidder, and we certainly won't be that outside of the crazy "lowball" scenario.

Its almost like you are implying the Marlins are too cheap to be the highest bidder.

*high five*

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Its almost like you are implying the Marlins are too cheap to be the highest bidder.

*high five*

Hm.  If you submit your bid from the top of the stadium, and the others submit them from the first floor, wouldn't we be the highest bidder?

Someone get Jeter on the phone!  We need to let him know this is how to sign guys

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Hm.  If you submit your bid from the top of the stadium, and the others submit them from the first floor, wouldn't we be the highest bidder?

Stop stealing my gimmick!

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Someone get Jeter on the phone!  We need to let him know this is how to sign guys

Can we also ask that he jumps from the top of the stadium whilst up there?  Take Sherman and Hill along for the ride too please.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, hovertical said:

With Machado when I say I don't see him living up to it I'm not even really factoring the natural regression as people age - with him, and his clear lack of effort, I could see him not giving a shit any longer and literally packing on the pounds until he forces a position change which would GREATLY diminish his value if he had to be moved to first.  I just don't see him busting his ass to take care of himself and keep himself playing in tip top shape in front of a could thousand fans a night.  I also don't think he'd like having nobody on base in front of him the bulk of the time he comes up to bat and being pitched around constantly.  The clubhouse also doesn't really have any other notable vets that could call him on his BS either.  Again, it's just a lack of effort and clearly not giving a shit even while playing for the WS. Not doubting the talent - just don't see him playing up to a level the Marlins would need to see to get any value back.

Fair points, and entirely possible. I would hope, if he did sign here, that playing in front of friends/family all the time may keep him in good form. But who knows, they probably all kissed his ass and let him get to this point, so maybe it'd be even worse. Home cookin', though!