2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Wait, can teams just decline to draft anyone? I didn't know that was even allowed. That's awful. 

You can, but you wouldn't get compensation. The strategy being suggested here isn't to pass on picks, but to select unsignable guys with your first pick or first couple picks. This means you'll have twice the picks, twice the slot money in 2021, a year that should come with a full season of high school / college stats and scouting reports. Or maybe you end up signing some guys at a discount that nobody in the industry thought could be had.

There's also a number of players who have said they're waiting until next year before they even consider signing, guys who might be mid-round steals if you've got enough slot money.

So it's not a crazy idea, and certainly not just a money decision. But for a franchise that's struggling with liquidity, this would probably look very attractive.

10 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I love his name but I don't know anything else about him

Right handed Bryce Harper type hitter in high school. Maybe not as good. Probably a DH type honestly. Either way as a 15 year old he was hitting homers in MLB ballparks, so there's that.

22 minutes ago, Michael said:

Right handed Bryce Harper type hitter in high school. Maybe not as good. Probably a DH type honestly. Either way as a 15 year old he was hitting homers in MLB ballparks, so there's that.

The Marlins will probably have a DH by the time he's ready so I'm intrigued. 

53 minutes ago, Michael said:

Jordan graduated early. 19 homers in 100 high school games. 20 steals. Apparently his glove is decent. Has some swing and miss issues. Stuff like that. 

So Giancarlo-lite?