Marlins release 30+ players

Admin

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I consider myself a pretty big fan of the team, but I hadn't heard of half these guys. Am I the only one?

To be fair I watch the minor leaguers on a regular basis, well at least the three teams playing in Florida, the ones on the list I had heard of hadn't impressed me much, good news there will be a new crop of farm players soon enough

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Kolek survives.

What an enigma that dude, has pretty elite level k/9 but walks almost as many hitters as he strikes out (over 20BB/9 in lincoln last season!!!). I feel bad for the guy, it must be incredibly frustrating that all that's holding him back is he can't throw strikes. 

I'm pretty sure that a group like this and probably even more players get released through the course of a normal season and the only reason this seems newsworthy is because they were released in one big chunk in the midst of a pandemic while no games were going on. Bottom line, there's more player turnover in every organization every year than people realize and no one bats an eye at these cuts any other year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm pretty sure that a group like this and probably even more players get released through the course of a normal season and the only reason this seems newsworthy is because they were released in one big chunk in the midst of a pandemic while no games were going on. Bottom line, there's more player turnover in every organization every year than people realize and no one bats an eye at these cuts any other year. 

Yes. And we were one of the last teams to do it, which would go against normal perception/narratives.

• Like 1

There are indeed a few names to note on this list. The aforementioned Twine, who was built like a turret gun, but listed as a second baseman (unfortunately, he never showed much game power). And there's McKenzie Mills, who is the guy we traded for in the Bour trade (though scuttlebutt is they were looking to get rid of Bour more than anything). Beggs is noteworthy for his presence in MLB The Show this year.

14 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Let's not overlook the fact that Jeter let go of Lebron too. I know he's not a baseball player but might as well give him a chance and at worst he brings great publicity to the Marlins. 

And Edgar Martinez! Another Hall of Famer released with a tweet -- shameful.

• Like 2