Opening Day Postponed

Lets say it is only 2 weeks. Do you think they just push the entire schedule back two weeks changing every single game day or do they, tag those two weeks at the end of the schedule so only 2 weeks change? I would imagine the latter, but Manfred is in charge so...

Lets say it is only 2 weeks. Do you think they just push the entire schedule back two weeks changing every single game day or do they, tag those two weeks at the end of the schedule so only 2 weeks change? I would imagine the latter, but Manfred is in charge so...

I think the 2 weeks of games won't be played. So we'll have a ~150 game schedule for the 2020 season. Can't really extend the season much because weather starts to get un-baseball-playable in the northern cities as November approaches.

That being said, I full expect it to be way more than two weeks and for there to possibly be closer to 100 games. It's not a wild thing to think that the whole season may be banged.

It's not a wild thing to think that the whole season may be banged.

Lets say this happens. What happens with contracts? Are the players paid? If not, does the contract roll over? Would a guy who is a pending free agent end up back with the team in 2021?

lol gotta like that my thread/post was deleted even through it was around first.

We apologize for that, we tried to merge your thread (in sports forum) with this one. Because it was in a different forum, yours got nuked in the process. We have found and corrected that bug for the future.

• Like 2

Lets say this happens. What happens with contracts? Are the players paid? If not, does the contract roll over? Would a guy who is a pending free agent end up back with the team in 2021?

No idea, but the players have to be paid because they are salaried workers. It REALLY REALLY sucks for people that work hourly jobs at the stadiums, as they won't be getting a paycheck unless they find a new job. Dallas Mavs owner Mark Cuban has promised to take care of the hourly workers there, let's hope YeahJeetz does something similar with the folks who work at Marlins Park.

They can't determine cancelling the season this soon.

If the break is only 2-3 weeks I'll imagine they try and squeeze the missed games in on off days and with doubleheaders when possible. Each game has value for many reasons and while they may not play them all the more they can make up the better.

• Like 2

Really, Mish is "stunned". After EVERYTHING else on the planet has been canceled and baseball finally joins in he is stunned. Surprised it happened. Of course, he could have been off world until yesterday and not aware of what has been happening. I doubt anyone breathing was stunned with yesterdays announcement.

• Like 1

Really, Mish is "stunned". After EVERYTHING else on the planet has been canceled and baseball finally joins in he is stunned. Surprised it happened. Of course, he could have been off world until yesterday and not aware of what has been happening. I doubt anyone breathing was stunned with yesterdays announcement.

I don't think he meant stunned as in not knowing it was coming. I think it's the feeling of this all escalating so quickly the last few days and not knowing what to do next. Sounds more like he meant "stunning" instead of "stunned."

It seems very trivial at this point I'm curious how they eventually handle deciding upon the opening day roster considering how many open roster spots the Marlins still had.

Very interesting question and I hope we get that answer sooner rather than later.

My own thought... how about if they had expanded rosters for opening day, maybe two extra relievers and 2 extra position players and then rosters have to be cut down to 26 within like ten days that way you use those ten days to decide on the final positions, also allows for roster flexibility in case the players aren't physically ready for the season again and can't play as long.

My own thought... how about if they had expanded rosters for opening day, maybe two extra relievers and 2 extra position players and then rosters have to be cut down to 26 within like ten days that way you use those ten days to decide on the final positions, also allows for roster flexibility in case the players aren't physically ready for the season again and can't play as long.

That could work. Maybe just bring it back to a 40 man roster for the first two weeks? IDK.