Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Such bullshit that they're pitting the players against the "other employees" that they're supposedly "supporting" - a good chunk of those employees are actually being helped out by the players themselves, NOT the owners.

Not "negotiating in good faith" is also bullshit. The owners have practically offered the same deal four times. They've basically said without outright saying it, "we're willing to pay this much money, you decide how many games it's spread over."

The owners need to offer at least 70 games on this fully pro-rated, otherwise the MLBPA is going to go hard on a grievance and force the owners to open their books and show their revenue. The game has had SEVENTEEN consecutive years with record revenue.

Reference from Post-Gazette (disable ad-blocker if needed)

Reference from Forbes (disable ad-blocker if needed)

$10.7 billion in 2019. $10.3 billion in 2018. The league just signed a $1B deal with Turner Sports (that's per year, I might add). In the Forbes article listed above, the $1B deal with Nike for the uniform kicked in this year. In 2017, the league surpassed $10B in revenue for the first time (separate Forbes article).

Deferrals probably would have been the best option here. 60% pro-rated for this year with the remaining 40% paid out over the contract. Whether or not that was discussed, I don't know. Regardless, this has gotten far beyond the point of ridiculous, and I truly hope the owners are forced to open their books.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thing has been an embarrassment to watch as a fan. Rob Manfred was a terrible commish before this and now it is even more obvious he needs to go. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Michael said:

Such bullshit that they're pitting the players against the "other employees" that they're supposedly "supporting" - a good chunk of those employees are actually being helped out by the players themselves, NOT the owners.

Not "negotiating in good faith" is also bullshit. The owners have practically offered the same deal four times. They've basically said without outright saying it, "we're willing to pay this much money, you decide how many games it's spread over."

The owners need to offer at least 70 games on this fully pro-rated, otherwise the MLBPA is going to go hard on a grievance and force the owners to open their books and show their revenue. The game has had SEVENTEEN consecutive years with record revenue.

Reference from Post-Gazette (disable ad-blocker if needed)

Reference from Forbes (disable ad-blocker if needed)

$10.7 billion in 2019. $10.3 billion in 2018. The league just signed a $1B deal with Turner Sports (that's per year, I might add). In the Forbes article listed above, the $1B deal with Nike for the uniform kicked in this year. In 2017, the league surpassed $10B in revenue for the first time (separate Forbes article).

Deferrals probably would have been the best option here. 60% pro-rated for this year with the remaining 40% paid out over the contract. Whether or not that was discussed, I don't know. Regardless, this has gotten far beyond the point of ridiculous, and I truly hope the owners are forced to open their books.

I don't think I ever posted it here, but over at another forum, I proposed basically that exact thing - prorate X amount of games, pay 70% of that prorated salary in 2020, and defer the rest over the next couple of seasons.

 

The owners get financial relief now, and the players wind up getting full prorated salaries.

 

However, you know the players would then turn around and complain when owners don't pay free agents as much  because they're paying the deferred salaries.

 

I feel like writing a letter and sending it to both MLB and the MLBPA talking about how instead of being the first major sport back and building interest in the game, they've squandered that opportunity, and if anything have done even more damage to the sport with this absurd public back and forth that has accomplished nothing.

 

 

I keep trying to find the text of the March agreement to read it again, but I can't find it anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I keep trying to find the text of the March agreement to read it again, but I can't find it anywhere.

Do let us know if you find it. It will be very interesting to see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I think I find it, I end up being led down a rabbit hole with nothing there - articles will reference the 17-page agreement, and have a link on the words "17 page agreement", and I click it, and then it's just another article that doesn't have the document there.  I'll keep digging though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if they do strike it'll be late in the season. They'll start the 2021 season but since the CBA doesn't expire until the end of the year, they might play a good chunk of it at the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael said:

I think if they do strike it'll be late in the season. They'll start the 2021 season but since the CBA doesn't expire until the end of the year, they might play a good chunk of it at the least.

 

Sorry, I misspoke - I meant leading up to/for the CBA negotiations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't understand how both sides don't see the long term ramifications for this absurd back and forth.

 

And I'm not saying the sides can't negotiate - go for it - but the view that neither side is willing to budge at all is damaging to the sport IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rmc523 said:

I just can't understand how both sides don't see the long term ramifications for this absurd back and forth.

 

And I'm not saying the sides can't negotiate - go for it - but the view that neither side is willing to budge at all is damaging to the sport IMO.

If none of this got leaked to the media, and all negotiations were behind closed doors, much more likely that they come to an agreement that works on all facets, but right now, everyone knows everything that's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael said:

If none of this got leaked to the media, and all negotiations were behind closed doors, much more likely that they come to an agreement that works on all facets, but right now, everyone knows everything that's going on.

I'd agree with this.  Now it's just posturing back and forth and the court of public opinion is seeping in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. Today is the day. MLBPA said they want a response by close of business.

I'll give Manfred *some* small bit of respect if he shows some balls and gives us 70-ish games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MLBTR had a report where the guy suggested doing full prorated up to 50 games, and then split revenues for any games beyond that.

 

There are options there, but neither side is even willing to consider it.

 

I wasn't ever able to find the full text of the 12-page March agreement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB won't proceed with a season unless the MLBPA signs waivers against any legal claims against the league.

See you guys in ...

Shit I don't think 2021 will happen. Maybe not even 2022. Major League Baseball might be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Major League Baseball might be done

I want to call this an exaggeration but realistically, you may be right. At least in terms of what it was. They are managing to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

I just saw Trevor Bauer used that goose line before me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I want to call this an exaggeration but realistically, you may be right. At least in terms of what it was. They are managing to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

I may be exaggerating slightly. It has always survived somehow. I just don't see a magical home run race that will save it this time. The only thing that can help edge towards redeeming the sport and the league would be the immediate dismissal of Manfred.

(sigh)

And to think what is stopping our rebuild isn't bad trades, isn't bad development, isn't bad drafting, isn't the ownership (all of which, FOR ONCE) ... it's fucking greed, and a virus. It's essentially two viruses, really.

 

Major League Baseball - America's Pastime for the Last Time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am one of the biggest baseball fans I know and even I'm becoming indifferent to a 2020 season at this point. If I'm losing interest, imagine casual fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I am one of the biggest baseball fans I know and even I'm becoming indifferent to a 2020 season at this point. If I'm losing interest, imagine casual fans.

I'm in the same boat. It's so disheartening.

"But it's the players' fault, you guys!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...