MLB to resume 2020 season in July

Admin

51 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yep - every game holds 2.7x the amount of weight it normally would. 33 wins = 89.1 in a normal 162.

Let's go for 33.

I want 60!  Last year we had 57, we need to see improvement!

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I think the fish will have a winning record this year and will make a run at a playoff spot. Call me crazy, because maybe I am. I just believe a 60 game slate favors a club like this.

Sometimes I think that but then sometimes I remember that a short season also leaves no room for error. A bad losing streak could crush their hopes very fast is my point. 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, CoastieMike said:

how so? 

These 60 games are going to be all about strategy. 6 man rotations, starters coming in as relievers, universal DH (more offense), expanded rosters (potential for young talent to step up), etc. Seems like it'll be very interesting to say the least.

Lol 60 games where you can hear the umpire fart because its so quiet. Its going to be very boring. You'll see. 

29 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

Lol 60 games where you can hear the umpire fart because its so quiet. Its going to be very boring. You'll see. 

You're something else. Don't come around posting here saying anything positive after anything this season. Everyone knows this season is different and no one is comparing it to any other season but considering how much negativity has surrounded the world recently I am welcome even just 2 months of Marlins baseball because at least its something fun to enjoy, something nice for once. Not sure why you can't just sit back and enjoy it for what it is even if it's different than the norm. This is at least better than nothing. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You're something else. Don't come around posting here saying anything positive after anything this season. Everyone knows this season is different and no one is comparing it to any other season but considering how much negativity has surrounded the world recently I am welcome even just 2 months of Marlins baseball because at least its something fun to enjoy, something nice for once. Not sure why you can't just sit back and enjoy it for what it is even if it's different than the norm. This is at least better than nothing. 

All is said was that it was going to be boring and have an asterisk, which it will. 

I love you all. Just remember that. 

28 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

All is said was that it was going to be boring and have an asterisk, which it will. 

I love you all. Just remember that. 

And we love you but we aren't happy with the constant negativity. 😭

Have a beer (or glass of warm milk [with meat]) and chill, friend. 💙

Here are the formal 2020 rule changes:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/mlb-rule-changes-2020-health-safety-protocols.html

[quote]

Major League Baseball has formalized a wave of rule changes and procedural protocols that have been widely reported upon and speculated upon over the past several months as the league and players union worked toward a return to play. The league also formally announced a July 3 return to training camp — now officially referred to as “Summer Camp” — and confirmed plans for July 23 or July 24 start to the regular season.

Among the changes that have now been put into place for at least the 2020 season, per the league’s press release:

On-Field Rules

National League games will include the use of the designated hitter for the first time in history.
An extra-innings rule will begin each extra inning with a runner on second base.
The batter (or a substitute for the batter) who leads off an inning shall continue to be the batter who would lead off the inning in the absence of this extra-innings rule.
The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning shall be the player (or a substitute for such player) in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter. By way of example, if the number five hitter in the batting order is due to lead off the tenth inning, the number four player in the batting order (or a pinchrunner for such player) shall begin the inning on second base.  However, if the player in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter is the pitcher, the runner placed on second base at the start of that half-inning may be the player preceding the pitcher in the batting order. Any runner or batter removed from the game for a substitute shall be ineligible to return to the game, as is the case in all circumstances under the OBR.
For purposes of calculating earned runs, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player.
As previously announced, the new three-batter minimum rule will require the starting or any relief pitcher to pitch to a minimum of three batters, including the batter then at bat (or any substitute batter), until such batters are put out or reach base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in OBR 4.03(c) or MLR 2(b)(2), any player may appear as a pitcher at any point during the game (i.e., no extra inning requirements or six-run rule, as were once planned for 2020). However, all players eligible to participate in the game, regardless of position, must be included on that game’s lineup card.
Prohibitions against unsportsmanlike conduct will be strictly enforced to prevent unnecessary physical contact and support physical distancing between individuals on the playing field. In this respect, players and managers should maintain physical distancing from all umpires and opposing players on the playing field whenever possible. Players or managers who leave their positions to argue with umpires, come within six feet of an umpire or opposing player or manager for the purpose of argument, or engage in altercations on the field are subject to immediate ejection and discipline, including fines and suspensions.
Procedures for Health and Safety

Each Club must submit a written COVID-19 Action Plan for approval by MLB.
Spitting is prohibited (including but not limited to, saliva, sunflower seeds or peanut shells, or tobacco) at all times in Club facilities (including on the field).  Chewing gum is permitted. 
Pitchers may carry a small wet rag in their back pocket to be used for moisture in lieu of licking their fingers.
Clubs must provide expanded dugout and bullpen space at their ballparks.
Players, umpires, and other on-field personnel should practice physical distancing to the extent possible within the limitations of competition and the fundamentals of baseball. Examples of ways in which physical distancing can be incorporated without disrupting the basics of the game include:
When the ball is out of play, fielders are encouraged to retreat several steps away from the baserunner.
If the batter is in the batter’s box and the catcher needs to stand to relay signs to the infielders, the catcher can step onto the grass towards the mound to give the signs before assuming his position behind home plate.
First and Third Base Coaches should remain in or behind the Coach’s Box and shall not approach a baserunner, fielder or umpire on-field.
Players on opposite teams should not socialize, fraternize, or come within six feet of each other before the game, during warm-ups, in between innings, or after the game.
There will be no pre-game exchange of lineup cards. Instead, each Club will input their lineup card into a mobile application provided by MLB.
Scheduling

Clubs may schedule up to three exhibition games before the end of Summer Camp.  Clubs may consider scheduling games against their opening opponent in the days leading up to Opening Day.  There is no limit on the number of intrasquad games permitted.
A regionally-based schedule will feature each Club playing 40 divisional games and 20 Interleague games against the corresponding geographical division. 
Revised Procedures for Transactions

All player transactions that had been suspended resumed this past Friday. 
Yesterday, each Club submitted a list of up to 60 players who will be eligible to participate in Major League games during the 2020 championship season (“Club Player Pool”).
Roster rules include:
By 12:00 p.m. (ET) on the first date of the revised 2020 regular season, each Club must submit to MLB an Opening Day Active Roster with a maximum of 30 players, and a minimum of 25.
The maximum Active Roster limit shall be reduced from 30 to 28 on the 15th day of the regular season.
The maximum Active Roster limit shall be reduced from 28 to 26 on the 29th day of the championship season for the remainder of the championship season and postseason. There shall be no expanded rosters in September.
The limitations on the number of pitchers on the Active Roster otherwise required by MLR 2(b)(2) shall not apply.
In the event that a doubleheader takes place while the Active Roster limit is 26, both Clubs may use an additional player.
A Club is permitted to carry up to three additional Taxi Squad players from its Club Player Pool on all road trips with the Major League team.  If the Club elects to carry three additional players, at least one must be a player whose designated position prior to the season is catcher.  Players on the Taxi Squad are permitted to workout with the Major League Club but are not permitted to be in uniform and in the dugout during games.  Upon the conclusion of each road trip, players on the Taxi Squad will return to the Alternate Training Site.
August 31st will be the 2020 trade deadline and September 15th will be the 2020 Postseason eligibility deadline.
Standard Injured List placements will be for either 10 days or 45 days, with the latter replacing 60.  A COVID-19 Related Injured List will allow for placements that will not require a confirmed positive test for COVID-19. A player may be placed on the COVID-19 Related IL based on a positive test for COVID-19, confirmed exposure to COVID-19, or if a player exhibits symptoms requiring self-isolation for further assessment.

[/quote]

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Here are the formal 2020 rule changes:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/mlb-rule-changes-2020-health-safety-protocols.html

[quote]

Prohibitions against unsportsmanlike conduct will be strictly enforced to prevent unnecessary physical contact and support physical distancing between individuals on the playing field. In this respect, players and managers should maintain physical distancing from all umpires and opposing players on the playing field whenever possible.

Players or managers who leave their positions to argue with umpires, come within six feet of an umpire or opposing player or manager for the purpose of argument, or engage in altercations on the field are subject to immediate ejection and discipline, including fines and suspensions.

Spitting is prohibited (including but not limited to, saliva, sunflower seeds or peanut shells, or tobacco) at all times in Club facilities (including on the field).  Chewing gum is permitted. 

Pitchers may carry a small wet rag in their back pocket to be used for moisture in lieu of licking their fingers.

Players, umpires, and other on-field personnel should practice physical distancing to the extent possible within the limitations of competition and the fundamentals of baseball. Examples of ways in which physical distancing can be incorporated without disrupting the basics of the game include:
When the ball is out of play, fielders are encouraged to retreat several steps away from the baserunner.

If the batter is in the batter’s box and the catcher needs to stand to relay signs to the infielders, the catcher can step onto the grass towards the mound to give the signs before assuming his position behind home plate.

First and Third Base Coaches should remain in or behind the Coach’s Box and shall not approach a baserunner, fielder or umpire on-field.

Players on opposite teams should not socialize, fraternize, or come within six feet of each other before the game, during warm-ups, in between innings, or after the game.

[/quote]

These specific ones will definitely make things interesting, albeit weird. 

Wet rag lol.

so in reading these rules, you can still have a lefty be used as a LOOGY in very specific cases, such as to get the last out of an inning in which another pitcher has pitched to 3 or more batters (example, pitcher gets two outs and allows one hit, lefty comes up, Loogy is put in.  LOOGY only needs to get that one out since according to the rule, the pitcher can be replaced after the side is retired).  Obviously this just makes LOOGY's far less valuable, but maybe not as unusable as previously thought unless I'm interpreting the rule wrong.

Don't like the man on second in extra innings. That better not make it to the regular game and if it does the people who approved it need to be fired.

Spitting not being permitted will be interesting to watch.  Wonder how many times that one will get violated day one.

8 hours ago, Undakai said:

so in reading these rules, you can still have a lefty be used as a LOOGY in very specific cases, such as to get the last out of an inning in which another pitcher has pitched to 3 or more batters (example, pitcher gets two outs and allows one hit, lefty comes up, Loogy is put in.  LOOGY only needs to get that one out since according to the rule, the pitcher can be replaced after the side is retired).  Obviously this just makes LOOGY's far less valuable, but maybe not as unusable as previously thought unless I'm interpreting the rule wrong.

Don't like the man on second in extra innings. That better not make it to the regular game and if it does the people who approved it need to be fired.

Spitting not being permitted will be interesting to watch.  Wonder how many times that one will get violated day one.

I read somewhere, FanGraphs I believe, that even most LOOGYs faced 3 batters in their outings. The guys who are going to be MOST impacted will be the guys getting blown up, who can't find the zone or give up two dingers in a row. So the impact on strategy may not look the way we expect.

10 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I read somewhere, FanGraphs I believe, that even most LOOGYs faced 3 batters in their outings. The guys who are going to be MOST impacted will be the guys getting blown up, who can't find the zone or give up two dingers in a row. So the impact on strategy may not look the way we expect.

I've said for a bit now that strategy on both sides goes up a lot with the three batter minimum. Before it was a little simple, in retrospect.

Manager 1: "Bring in this lefty for their lefty? Yes."

Manager 2: "They're bringing in that lefty? Cool. I'm pinch hitting."

Done!

Now, let's assume this is middle of an inning, even with two outs.

Manager 1: "OK, do I bring in this guy and hope he gets this first batter so we end the inning, risking the possibility of him facing up to two batters more that both have crushed him previously? Hmm ..."

And on the other side of it:

Manager 2: "I've got three right handed batters coming up and they're all going to be facing a dominant righty who hasn't allowed a hit in two months to right handed batters. Should I pinch hit for one, two, all three? Hmm ..."

Definitely more thought needs to go into this one. It'll be intriguing!

• Like 1

Channel 7 news sports just said that the season starts today. Always amazed how misinformed and generally misleading the local news sports guys can be nowadays. It's not major but that one guy in his 3 minute report on the local news broadcast is often the only sports news given to the casual fans and local community and I'd be kinda embarrassed by how often they say unclear things.