MLB to resume 2020 season in July

Admin

“No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference.”

― Tommy Lasorda

This quote which many of us already heard long ago is very useful for the 2020 season. For those saying it will be boring or meaningless, think about what Tommy said there. 

We are getting the important games.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

This quote which many of us already heard long ago is very useful for the 2020 season. For those saying it will be boring or meaningless, think about what Tommy said there. 

We are getting the important games.

So the Marlins just need to win the majority of 20 more games? 

Some general thoughts on this season to ponder and discuss...

-Virtually every team is a contender when the season starts but a bad losing streak could essentially eliminate a team early on as well so then I wonder about the mindset and motivation of a last place team in the later parts of the season with nothing to play for, not even hometown fans to play in front of... the bad teams could get trounced. I'm talking losing like 18 of their last 20 or something. This could have a tremendous effect on the standings, more so than in other seasons. There may not be much in terms of spoiler teams and those bad teams could seriously pad the win totals of the top teams is what I'm getting at. 

-Early season wins matter tremendously this year so every win is huge and every loss is crucial as well. My biggest complaint about the structure of football seasons now applies to baseball in that one bad week can end your season, let alone two weeks.  

-Bullpen depth could be the difference for every team. Teams usually have 7 or 8 relievers to rely on but with roster manipulation and the possibility of positive virus tests it could be the team that has 4 or 5 additional bullpen options who really get ahead of their divisions. The Marlins come to mind here as they've built a seemingly strong bullpen with plenty of options plus their upcoming starter prospects could all factor in as well. Bottom line: the Marlins might have a never ending bullpen of dominance.

-Can't count out the chance that an entire team's chances get wiped out by an outbreak. By the time they catch one positive case it could have spread to half the team and suddenly the whole season is screwed for that team and potentially for their recent opponents. This is huge and I don't think people are thinking of it enough. 

3 minutes ago, miamibaseball said:

so no preseason game? so going camp go to play first week of season without preseason games?

Teams can play up to 3, unknown how many Marlins will play. They also can play intrasquad games as much as they want.