• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Realmuto updates and rumors

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-ranking-every-potential-landing-spot-for-marlins-catcher-j-t-realmuto/

"The best and most obvious fit. Yasmani Grandal is a free agent and Austin Barnes is best used in moderation, plus catching prospects Will Smith and Keibert Ruiz need more time in the minors. And the Dodgersare very much trying to get over the hump and win a World Series. They have the prospects to trade and the need behind the plate, and Realmuto's two years of control line up perfectly with Smith's and Ruiz's timetable. Los Angeles is the clear No. 1 landing spot for Realmuto."

Ruiz/Smith, May, Downs/Lux, and a throw in outside their top 15 prospects makes a lot of sense.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, MarlinsLou said:

Ruiz/Smith, May, Downs/Lux, and a throw in outside their top 15 prospects makes a lot of sense.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, MarlinsLou said:

I find it crazy that none of the teams interested in Realmuto want to give up their top prospect.  He's definately worth it.  I think thats' in part because of the new trend to value those prospects more for financial reasons and in part because of the Marlins inept reputation.

With that said, should the Marlins ask for quantity? For example, they can ask the Braves for Riley, Newcomb, Camargo, Pache, and Fried for J T, and let's say Adam Conley.

Is a package like that worth pursuing or should the Marlins stick to their guns and continue to request the Acuna, Robles or Tucker types of returns?

If they don't trade JT before the 19' trade deadline, he will only have one and a half years of control left and his value will be lower at that point.  I just think the longer this takes , the more likely the chance that the Marlins shit the bed with this trade.

2 hours ago, Rydawg said:

I find it crazy that none of the teams interested in Realmuto want to give up their top prospect.  He's definately worth it.  I think thats' in part because of the new trend to value those prospects more for financial reasons and in part because of the Marlins inept reputation.

With that said, should the Marlins ask for quantity? For example, they can ask the Braves for Riley, Newcomb, Camargo, Pache, and Fried for J T, and let's say Adam Conley.

Is a package like that worth pursuing or should the Marlins stick to their guns and continue to request the Acuna, Robles or Tucker types of returns?

If they don't trade JT before the 19' trade deadline, he will only have one and a half years of control left and his value will be lower at that point.  I just think the longer this takes , the more likely the chance that the Marlins shit the bed with this trade.

After the disaster of the Ozuna and Yelich trades, particularly the Yelich deal, why wouldn't any team desiring JT just wait it out until the Marlins shit the bed? Just seems like the Dodgers are patiently waiting.

4 hours ago, Rydawg said:

I just think the longer this takes , the more likely the chance that the Marlins shit the bed with this trade.

I thought the same, well I still do, but I still think the Marlins have more leverage than people are giving them credit for. Yes several teams have backed out but there's still enough teams involved that I think the Marlins can still hold their ground. There probably is a point of shitting the bed here but I don't think they're there yet. 

8 hours ago, Rydawg said:

in part because of the Marlins inept reputation.

It's why they need to stick to the high asking price and showing all teams it's a different Marlins organization.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

It's why they need to stick to the high asking price and showing all teams it's a different Marlins organization.

I don't think the Marlins can afford to play chicken.  The minute the season starts, JT 's value starts to diminish.  Houston , Atlanta, LA , and San Diego can put nice packages together without their #1 propsects included.  Difficult to play hardball when the entire league knows that you have to trade a guy because he won't sign an extension. Yes, they can leverage teams against each other but the other teams aren't stupid.  They know they can afford to wait the Marlins out. The Marlins will blink and I won't blame them.

He kind of made his bed. So far all of the trades he has made came with the assumption that we wanted high upside guys. Harrison, Brinson, Diaz, when the trade was made all had a similar profile, high variance prospects.  The problem is pure talent only takes you so far, for these types of prospects to succeed you either need to know you can train them, or hope you get lucky. These high risk trades have made the farm a mixed bag. In response to this uncertainty he is trying to get major league assets not for baseball reasons, but for PR reasons. Honestly, he should double down. Continue to acquire 19-20 year olds with a lot of talent, and good numbers in high A ball. If he doesn't believe in the organization's ability to turn talent into on-field success then our organization is screwed anyway.

2 hours ago, 97marlin said:

He kind of made his bed. So far all of the trades he has made came with the assumption that we wanted high upside guys. Harrison, Brinson, Diaz, when the trade was made all had a similar profile, high variance prospects.  The problem is pure talent only takes you so far, for these types of prospects to succeed you either need to know you can train them, or hope you get lucky. These high risk trades have made the farm a mixed bag. In response to this uncertainty he is trying to get major league assets not for baseball reasons, but for PR reasons. Honestly, he should double down. Continue to acquire 19-20 year olds with a lot of talent, and good numbers in high A ball. If he doesn't believe in the organization's ability to turn talent into on-field success then our organization is screwed anyway.

So who is "HE" ? Jeter ? Hill ?

Holy Moly, so the Marlins need to take a return of mediocrity hoping that the 20% chance someone pans out is the best they can do for JT, or else they may be left with what?- accepting mediocrity later. I think we have all the leverage. Someone will be at the doorstep of realizing they have a damn good chance of winning it all if only they give up their top prospects, which may or may not help them win in 2-3 years down the road to get one of the best players in MLB and #1 at his position.  I am all in to the new Marlins mindset if they hold firm.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, fish53 said:

Holy Moly, so the Marlins need to take a return of mediocrity hoping that the 20% chance someone pans out is the best they can do for JT, or else they may be left with what?- accepting mediocrity later. I think we have all the leverage. Someone will be at the doorstep of realizing they have a damn good chance of winning it all if only they give up their top prospects, which may or may not help them win in 2-3 years down the road to get one of the best players in MLB and #1 at his position.  I am all in to the new Marlins mindset if they hold firm.

No one said they should accept Mediocrity.  Let's take the package from the Braves that I gave as an example for instance. It would include two top 100 propsects (Riley and Pache), two young controllable lefties that are former top 100 propsects that have had some success in MLB already (Newcomb and Fried) and a quality young controllable middle infielder (Camargo) that has also had success at the MLB level. 

My problem is holding out for the uber prospect at the risk of then having to accept a mediocre return.  You are correct that we have leverage now so let's take the best possible deal now.  It will still be a better deal now than it will be at the trade deadline.