• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Realmuto updates and rumors

obviously everyone wants to keep JT long term.  Thats not the issue.  The issue is him wanting to be here long term.  And its something that we have to figure out by the winter meetings at the latest.  if you cant convince him by then, even offering to overpay, you have no choice but to deal him.

if the trade offer was overwhelming in our favor, then I'd do it....otherwise, keep him...

• Like 1

Maybe keeping him won't be the worst thing. Maybe wait it out until the end of the year to offer him a good deal, and move to trade him if he rejects. Of course, if you get blown away at the trade deadline with an offer, you pull the trigger. But only if someone gets crazy.

4 hours ago, fish20 said:

not necessarily.  I think they will become that, but they dont need to.  I think all 3 of them have all star potential.

But you said they will both be STUDS. 

I didn’t say it.  You said it. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, DTrain said:

But you said they will both be STUDS. 

I didn’t say it.  You said it. 

yup, i dont base my opinions off small sample sizes, if i did, id tell you they both had a double and a hr tonight, and tell yu that ISan diaz went 4-5 with a HR and 2 doubles and that Harrison had a Hr, 2b, and single. its almost as if you are making judgments based off small sample sizes and unrelenting cynicism 

Edited by fish20 (see edit history)

I think there will be a blockbuster trade that will happen. With the Braves and Phills good, I think someone will have to overpay.

21 hours ago, fish20 said:

they got a great deal for yelich, and brinson will be fine. Diaz and Harrison will be studs, and Yamamoto has a chance to be a rotation arm or bullpen arm.

I saw the same flaws in Maybin’s swing/approach in ‘08 so, like I’ve said before, I really hope you’re right, I just don’t see it happening. Unless he makes some changes to his mechanics along the way he’s gonna be what we see now. Nothing to do with being optimistic or otherwise, I’ve just been around too much baseball in my life to not see that his current swing can’t handle major league pitching. I repeat, I hope you’re right though.

As for harrision, he is a lot quicker to the ball with his swing so I can see him being a contributing major leaguer soon. I’m excited about Diaz too but not holding my breath on Yamamoto. I just don’t believe that low velocity translates well from minors to majors. The outs you get in double a from a cheap curveball cause they haven’t learned to hit the offspead pitch yet will not be there and most have trouble dealing with the realization that since they don’t throw 95+, they can’t just put the guy away. 

Meanwhile, Yelich is being full-blown Yelich in Milwaukee. 

21 hours ago, DTrain said:

Realmuto doesn’t want to play baseball for Miami anymore.  A couple of fun wins and losing 17 games this month (and April isn’t gone yet) didn’t change his mindset that he made clear to the media after the firesale. 

He’s just playing nice now with his comments (likely at his agents request).  

And I think your view on Brinson and his early results is very short sighted. He should have never been brought up this soon.  That’s all on Jeter and his band of boobs. 

I don’t mind Brinson or the return for Yelich. Still too early to assess that trade.

Either way, I wish Realmuto would stay.

16 hours ago, fish20 said:

not necessarily.  I think they will become that, but they dont need to.  I think all 3 of them have all star potential.

They all have bust potential as well to be fair. Guys with such high strikeout rates are risky. Again, too early to assess the deal. 

I’m inclined to keep JT but not for the reasons a lot of you are saying.   His current form isn’t sustainable.  It’s a hot streak.  He’s a career 282/324/435 hitter.  He’s a really nice catcher to have.  He’s not a center piece.  Out of curiosity I looked to see how old Piazza was when the Mets acquired him.  He was 29.  But JT is no Piazza.  That’s OK though.  He’s also not a defense only Molina brother.  The catchers that got a lot of value from pitch framing are a thing of the past.  JT’s not one of those guys.  He’s an all around solid baseball player that plays his position well, it just happens to be catcher, a position that can be feast or famine.  I think a player like JT is extremely valuable to have there and even post arbitration can be retained at a reasonable price.  Trading him feels almost impossible though.  The Marlins should be asking a lot but teams won’t part with the type of prospect we want for a guy who is a steady catcher.  We’re better off keeping him.  But I don’t expect to keep him and have him hit 3-5 and be a key cog in a potent offense.  What we saw last year is about his max. 

Unfortunately I don’t think we have anymore exciting trading chips left except maybe Strailey.  Strailey at this moment in time wouldn’t command enough to move him.  If he returns and has an outstanding season then maybe we can entice a team really looking to make that final push to send a prospect over.  That’s a best case scenario though. 

• Like 1