• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Realmuto updates and rumors

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

You still don't get my point, I mean excluding the contract issue, do you still think a great outfielder would be more important to a team than a great catcher ?

That is an irrelevant exercise for two reasons.

How many wins does a player contribute wherever they are? The position doesn't matter. Mike Trout is more important than Buster Posey. If you want to debate equal level players, such as Realmuto versus say Benintendi, you would of course take the catcher and defer to position scarcity in such a scenario. That's a different question.

Contract issues DO matter. If the Marlins got Tucker, in 2021 they will be paying him $600k and have $20 million in extra money (as that is how much a free agency Realmuto year will cost, and that's the low end). I'll take Tucker and $20 million. Although, I am fine if they give Realmuto 5/$80-85 at the same time. Either is a good situation to be in.

• Like 1

Ok yes JT Realmuto would be more valuable to this team than Kyle Tucker if...

-If he would agree to an extension

OR

-If the Marlins got good enough to compete in 2019 or 2020

...when either of those two things come true, you let me know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh I get ya, I've been here a long time so I know exactly what you're saying... I'm just also saying that Tucker would be by far the best player this team has acquired in decades and he might, might, be the one immune to the nonsense.  

It's the Marlins.  They'll find a way to take a sure bet prospect and turn him into a bust.

Just now, rmc523 said:

It's the Marlins.  They'll find a way to take a sure bet prospect and turn him into a bust.

I get ya but, again, Tucker is so good that he could buck the trends here. Honestly can anyone think of a prospect that the Marlins have acquired in recent memory who was ranked higher than him? 

36 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Ok yes JT Realmuto would be more valuable to this team than Kyle Tucker if...

-If he would agree to an extension

OR

-If the Marlins got good enough to compete in 2019 or 2020

...when either of those two things come true, you let me know. 

Reading this had me thinking how insufferable people will be when the marlins inevitably trade him.  None of this happens if he is open to extension.  Of course the complaints will fly fast and furious completely ignoring this fact.  Furthermore they will come from people that probably quit watching after 2017 or perhaps even before then...which means they never really saw JT at his best.  Makes it even more hysterical 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I get ya but, again, Tucker is so good that he could buck the trends here. Honestly can anyone think of a prospect that the Marlins have acquired in recent memory who was ranked higher than him? 

None, but let's not bring up Maybin and Miller

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

None, but let's not bring up Maybin and Miller

Frightening thing to consider.  But I think the prospect valuation people have come a long way in the last 10-15 years. 

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I will believe it when I see it. I can easily see him being called a bum with no future if he hits .200 in April (regardless of level)

Tucker is also only 21 compared to Brinson who was 24 (only 2 years younger than Yelich was) and had already been traded to the Brewers in another deal (red flag right there as teams generally do NOT like to trade blue chip prospects).  This is much more in line with the type of deal they should have been looking for with Yelich too - and if they didn't get it then they shouldn't have traded him.

10 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Since the catcher isn't sticking around, the point is moot. There's nothing we can do to keep JT if he doesn't want to sign a long-term deal. Want to hold onto him for 2 years and see him walk for nothing as a free agent instead?

You may think this is crazy, but I believe that's what this market needs. A wake up call. Sometimes its not always the Marlins being cheap. Sometimes the players don't want to be here.

Let JT Walk, make a huge public offer - and let him turn down the most money and sign elsewhere so this market can finally understand why we trade players that have 2 years of control left.

Miami thinks its the 1960's and these teams have the rights to players forever. Curt Flood opened the door, and Miami's been too ignorant to look outside and see how the free agent sweepstakes changed the game.

Players can dictate where they want to play after a few years. We can tell him he's a Marlin until the winter of 2020 all we want, but come spring 2021 if he doesnt want to be here he won't be. Take a big stance that you want him, offer him the world publicly and let him leave.

THEN the fanbase shoudln't call anyone cheap anymore.

If they want to fix this market and how it views player acquisition and payroll, its what needs to be done.

If the team wants to acquire the best players possible and maximize it's returns prospect wise then we have to trade him now and deal with 2 years now of a PR nightmare trading top players.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Realmuto is leaving in 2 seasons. If u get Kyle Tucker he is most likely your All Star level right fielder in 2020 and in the next several seasons after that. Kyle Tucker is potentially more important to the Marlins next contending team than Realmuto is. 

not to pedantic but Tucker is a 60FV prospect right now which while very good is hardly "most likely all star level" grade