Jump to content
  • Register for full access

    Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Realmuto updates and rumors

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Let me be clear.  I’m not saying that JT is as good as Buster circa 2013.  I’m just saying that it makes sense that he would shoot for the stars in contract negations.  He’s the best available catcher on the market and that contract is five years old.  So....go in strong with your best request JT. 

Its a starting point where he says, sure if you want to be stupid and give me Buster money I'll stay.

He won't sniff that figure on the open market.  I dont even know if he gets 100 mil.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Its a starting point where he says, sure if you want to be stupid and give me Buster money I'll stay.

He won't sniff that figure on the open market.  I dont even know if he gets 100 mil.  

This shouldn’t be a surprise.  That’s what you do when you don’t want to stick around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6yr 120 mil deal for him - not from the Marlins though. I think I said it many pages ago on this thread but if the Marlins DID extend him and keep him in the fold they'd be wise to do a heavily front loaded deal instead of doing the usual back-loaded deals of the Loria era.  JT's value drops dramatically when he moves to first to take some games off so by front-loading his deal you make him way easier to trade towards the back end of those contract years assuming his bat is still there - for some reason I see him closing his career out by bouncing around year after year as some pinch-hitting specialist.  He just strikes me as that type of guy long-term.  Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe he's one of the best out there right now and will likely be so for the next 3 years or so but I just have a hunch beyond those years he'll be a super sub.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Its a starting point where he says, sure if you want to be stupid and give me Buster money I'll stay.

He won't sniff that figure on the open market.  I dont even know if he gets 100 mil.  

Yep. He's probably due 5/$85 right now in an arbitration buyout. In certain situations, he could probably just get over $100 on a 6 year deal with a team that is building around him.

In two years when he is entering his age 30 season, and assuming he has still produced 4+ WAR seasons the last two years, I can see him getting over $100 million on a 5+ year deal. But it's not going to be astronomically over that. Catcher longevity is going to prevent him from getting a 9 year deal like Buster. Even if Realmuto has the physique to hold up better than most catchers, I don't anyone take on that risk.

It's what we all know, he doesn't want to be here. The Marlins know the comps. Realmuto knows the comps. Realmuto has made around $5 million in his entire career, and will make $6-7 million in arbitration this year more than likely. I don't see him turning down literally 7 times that amount in a 5 year deal to completely secure his future and be a free agent again at a reasonable age 33 season. That is just a stupid life decision, and he should see things like Ozuna having a massive downgrade in production as a problem at securing future money.

They should make a very public 5/$85 offer and trade him if he doesn't accept it. Either situation is fine. And then when he signs the same deal with the Astros, who cares. Get players with years of control and unapologetically keep making baseball moves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarlinsLou said:

Realmuto has made around $5 million in his entire career, and will make $6-7 million in arbitration this year more than likely. I don't see him turning down literally 7 times that amount in a 5 year deal to completely secure his future and be a free agent again at a reasonable age 33 season. That is just a stupid life decision, and he should see things like Ozuna having a massive downgrade in production as a problem at securing future money.

Totally agree and it's just what I want to say, take the money to secure his future when he got the chance, not everyone got the chance like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Ozuna turned down an extension from us right? He and Hechavarria probably hating themselves for that.

Yeah I recall him turning down the opportunity to discuss one, he's a Boras client so that's always the way with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rmc523 said:

Not like we'd have kept him anyway.

I meant it independent of the Marlins... no matter where he would be playing he would have guaranteed big money yet now his career seems to be on a downturn. He may have missed his chance to cash in big. Which really sucks because I love Ozuna. I hope he sticks around long enough, which he probably will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I meant it independent of the Marlins... no matter where he would be playing he would have guaranteed big money yet now his career seems to be on a downturn. He may have missed his chance to cash in big. Which really sucks because I love Ozuna. I hope he sticks around long enough, which he probably will.

I hope he has a huge year this season (MVP style) and gets a big contract next off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.