• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Realmuto updates and rumors

22 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I don't want to see him go.  I understand the business side though, and it may be best for the future to trade him for several prospects.  If we do, we need to clean out somebody's farm system.  

I'm at peace with it either way.

With the hope to acquire top prospects from other teams, maybe many members here would be disappointed if we success to extend JT in the end.

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

With the hope to acquire top prospects from other teams, maybe many members here would be disappointed if we success to extend JT in the end.

Wrong. Nobody has said they'd rather get the prospects than to keep JT long term. We're just getting excited about the potential returns because JT has already said he wants out. Nobody here has said they'd be disappointed if Realmuto chose to stay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Wrong. Nobody has said they'd rather get the prospects than to keep JT long term. We're just getting excited about the potential returns because JT has already said he wants out. Nobody here has said they'd be disappointed if Realmuto chose to stay. 

Yeah, before be traded everything is possible.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I would be disappointed. It just doesn’t make sense on any front to keep him. 

JT will be entering his 30s when we expect to be competitive. Key word, expect. We are still a few significant pieces away in the pipeline to expect to field a competitive team by 2022. I’m disappointed he won’t be a marlin, but for the future of this organization, the correct move would be to trade him. And for that, I would be disappointed if he wasn’t traded 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Looks like most of the Twitter commenting people are reading it wrong too. They're saying that the Marlins will get less for Realmuto than what Arizona got for Goldy just because Goldy is a better hitter.

People don't seem to understand Sherman's point that JT has more value.

This is actually a great lesson on how trades work. Trade value doesn't just come from player talent alone. Stanton > Goldy > Realmuto but in terms of trade value the order is reversed. 

Realmuto is clearly more valuable than both of them to anyone who has a clue. Especially since a team getting him probably gives him the 5/$80-85 deal he'll accept, increasing some surplus value that presently doesn't exist.

It's fine to sign him for 5 or trade him. Either is a good situation. Only dumb one is to do nothing.

If the Mets refuse to move Rosario (which is understandable), I only see one real trade permutation that works:

Nimmo or Conforto
Gimenez
Alonso or D. Petersen
Nido
Lagares - and Marlins eat the $9 million of his salary to get it done. Marlins flip him at the deadline.

Marlins ship out Realmuto, Rojas, and one of Conley or Wittgren in a 5-3.

And if the Mets need to dump more payroll (to sign Pollock, or their dream Machado or Harper), I think the Marlins can take on D'Arnaud and maybe send back Dean, because the Mets could use some bench help in the OF and don't need redundant backup catchers. Another guy for the Marlins to flip at the deadline. Taking on the payroll in 2019 means nothing to Miami to get longterm players.

It's a little messy given the Mets personnel, versus easier permutations with Houston/Atlanta/Dodgers, but it could work if this is the best deal. I'd be beyond fine getting the SS, 1B, and backup C of the future, and having excess outfielders to trade for more pitching at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarlinsLou said:

I'd be beyond fine getting the SS, 1B, and backup C of the future, and having excess outfielders to trade for more pitching at some point.

Yea we could fill a lot of long term holes with this return if they do it right.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Yea we could fill a lot of long term holes with this return if they do it right.

I'm pretty confident they will. He is insanely valuable. The best catcher in baseball, coming off a huge breakout season, at 28 years old, with non-guaranteed salaries past 2019, leverage to buy out his prime because he's 2 years from free agency, at the toughest physical position so he will take the buyout, and the rest of the NL East going bananas acquiring guys to pit the Braves and Mets against each other.

I think we'll be happy about this one. Yelich will still be the only wart.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

ive said the same things as lou like 69 times before and got like zero likes you jerk nerd dummies

Nice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

ive said the same things as lou like 69 times before and got like zero likes you jerk nerd dummies

I missed that, but high five?

Maybe it's the Bonafacio avatar.