• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
B1az3

2018 Rule 5 Draft

It's decision time for all 30 Major League organizations.

By Tuesday, all teams will have decided who deserves a spot on their 40-man rosters. Those Minor Leaguers who are eligible but not put on the roster will be exposed to be taken by the other 29 teams in the Rule 5 Draft, which will take place at the Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, on Thursday. Dec. 13.

Here's a list of all 30 teams' Top 30 prospects who needed to be protected to avoid being exposed to the Rule 5 Draft, along with non-Top 30 prospects who were given coveted roster spots:

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/top-rule-5-eligible-prospects-for-all-30-teams/c-300531350

There are some interesting names that might not be added to the 40 man roster.

I'm counting 5 open spots on the 40-man that we could use to protect our guys. Harrison, Diaz, and Yamamato should be locks. I thought Guzman was also eligible but apparently not according to that article. I also think Quijada and Schales would need protection, which are two others to consider.

By the time the actual draft gets here I assume we'll have some more spots open up either from trades (JT) or waiving guys (Dietrich) that we could use in the draft.

Edited by MiguelDontrelle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

This is a big day for a team like the marlins. Need to find a diamond in the rough. 

Wrong.  We need to find a club in the rough.  It's called the Club now, not Diamond Club.  That's so Loria Marlins...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

All those guys are keepers so three guys are getting cut.

Question is which 3?

46 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

All those guys are keepers so three guys are getting cut.

I can't really see Torres or Hernandez getting selected in the draft considering neither has gotten past low a ball. I don't see how either could stick on an mlb roster for a year at this point in their development. They probably don't need protection. Maybe someone could stash Mills in a bullpen role though.

Edited by MiguelDontrelle (see edit history)