Sign in to follow this  
Ema2R

Nick Anderson acquired, Dietrich DFA'd

11 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

So what's the 411 on Anderson?

11 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

So what's the 411 on Anderson?

He can't hit a free throw, wait wrong Nick Anderson

I liked Schales. What he showed this year made me think he might develop enough power to be a real major leaguer. I guess Denbo disagrees.

Nick Anderson is thought to be a reliever with some upside. The thought is we can get immediate value out of him. Dunno what he throws, but I know he gets K's, and doesn't walk a lot of guys. He gives up some Home Runs, but I think he is coming from the PCL so I would imagine that might drop to a more normal range. Potentially we got a good reliever.

Best Case future closer/ late bloomer. Worst case his HR/9 are a symptom of a greater problem and he gets shelled in the show.

4 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

I liked Schales. What he showed this year made me think he might develop enough power to be a real major leaguer. I guess Denbo disagrees.

Nick Anderson is thought to be a reliever with some upside. The thought is we can get immediate value out of him. Dunno what he throws, but I know he gets K's, and doesn't walk a lot of guys. He gives up some Home Runs, but I think he is coming from the PCL so I would imagine that might drop to a more normal range. Potentially we got a good reliever.

Best Case future closer/ late bloomer. Worst case his HR/9 are a symptom of a greater problem and he gets shelled in the show.

Would be funny if the Marlins took Schales in the Rule 5 draft.

Anderson is effectively an early Rule 5 pickup (since the twins would've left him unprotected), except getting him now and adding him to the 40 man means he can be optioned right away and not be subject to all the Rule 5 conditions.

12 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I find it hard to believe no one was interested in trading for him this year, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say no trade opportunities came up. However, if they had a chance to trade him for a pack of peanuts last year and they didn't knowing they'd DFA him, that's freaking ridiculous. He's an actual MLB starter. Not elite, but a starter

Why would someone trade for a Dietrich and give up a real asset for him when there are going to be 15 of them on the market by the end of hte month with the non tender deadline coming up?

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Did I say the Marlins would be bad for a long time because they DFA’d DD?  

Answer:  No. 

I didn't think you did but you put it in this thread about Dietrich so it sure sounded like it.

38 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Why would someone trade for a Dietrich and give up a real asset for him when there are going to be 15 of them on the market by the end of hte month with the non tender deadline coming up?

Why would anyone trade for Bour? Yeah he had more power but he’s useless otherwise. 

2 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Bour is actually a good comp for what I’m trying to convey.  Yes he got traded for a player so you’re correct about that. But he landed on  team that was sub .500 and was used in pinch hitting situations with an occasional start. Dietrich has a place on a roster. But he’s not starting unless circumstances dictate it (like it’s a poor team or the real starter is out for an extended period of time).  

Philadelphia was genuinely trying to get to the playoffs and had a realistic shot till later in the season. So yes, he was valuable to a team in the hunt.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I question how many contending teams would have Dietrich on their roster. I doubt any would have him as a starter.

On the roster? Plenty. As a starter? Probably none, but I said most playoff teams could use him off the bench. I also said he’s good enough to be a starter in general, not necessarily on a playoff team. 

6 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

On the roster? Plenty.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Check every contending team and see if there's a spot for Dietrich over other options. Maybe a couple but I doubt it is plenty.