• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Erick

This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

10 hours ago, SixYearItch said:

I expect the theme and picture of this team to be of a franchise in smoldering ruins, a Pompeii on the MLB landscape

We need more dramatic stuff here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Gonna put a disclaimer saying I don't necessarily think this is gonna happen but I think the case is "if everyone is better than they were last year." 

I don't know about everyone, but some guys had years so bad, there's no way they can't improve.......I hope.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:36 AM, Erick said:

The way most people felt about 2018 is the way I feel about 2019.

I really think the team next year is perfectly capable of losing 110+ games. It’s clearly worse than 2018 once Realmuto gets traded and we replace him with a guy who probably has no business catching in the big leagues (as was the case last year when Realmuto was injured). 

I also don’t see the front office making any notable free agent signings. It seems like they’re marketing Peter O’Brien as if he’s going to be the starting 1B (Lol).

At least the new uni’s and stadium design are better than before. And we’re going to get the #1 pick. #positives

Yeah, they need to be signing more guys to 1 year deals and flipping them at the deadline.  It's inexplicable to me why we didn't do more of that last year.

12 hours ago, SixYearItch said:

For the forseeable future, I expect the theme and picture of this team to be of a franchise in smoldering ruins, a Pompeii on the MLB landscape.

I hear Jeter is replacing the home run sculpture with an active volcano as we speak.

It is what it is. Just stick to the plan, if we suck for a couple more years and can reap the rewards afterward I am all for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CYmarlins said:

It is what it is. Just stick to the plan, if we suck for a couple more years and can reap the rewards afterward I am all for it.

I have this same motto about my wife. 

Once again, it appears that MarlinsBaseball.com underestimates the popularity of one of its former players (Derek Deitrich).  

I, personally, would argue that Deitrich was more popular with Marlins fans than Ozuna and Yelich. 

Shame that a .751 OPS in 2018 (with half of his games played in a pitcher’s Park) is no longer on a team that needs OPS. 

Doesn’t matter why Deitrich is no longer on the team, it’s a shame regardless.  

5 minutes ago, DTrain said:

Once again, it appears that MarlinsBaseball.com underestimates the popularity of one of its former players (Derek Deitrich).  

I, personally, would argue that Deitrich was more popular with Marlins fans than Ozuna and Yelich

You spelled his name wrong. And you overestimate his popularity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM, EricOwens! said:

90 loses means the team is watchable. 110 losses mean they aren't. It matters.

90 loses means I would say "fuck Jeter" 90 times, 110 loses means I would say "fuck Jeter" 110 times, it matters.

7 hours ago, DTrain said:

I, personally, would argue that Deitrich was more popular with Marlins fans than Ozuna and Yelich. 

Shame that a .751 OPS in 2018 (with half of his games played in a pitcher’s Park) is no longer on a team that needs OPS. 

Doesn’t matter why Deitrich is no longer on the team, it’s a shame regardless.  

Marginal players are quite often popular with fans for bad reasons.  David Eckstein famously pulled this off in front of the so called “greatest fans in baseball”. I think people liked Dietrichs heart and hustle and pencant for shirtless celebrations.

A bit dramatic. They are going to lose 90-105 easily, but who cares? Both are bad numbers. It's a rebuild (despite whatever they want to call it). As for laughingly bad, they gave Holaday, Prado, Rivera, Ortega, Shuck, and Sierra about 950 PA last year and they rewarded the Marlins with -4 WAR. That's pathetic. Let's lob in Brinson who increases those numbers to 1350 PA and a -5 WAR.

You're talking a 5 win improvement if the combination of Brinson and whoever they get to replace those PA are replacement level players. I find this likely as this was really exceptionally epically bad and even if Brinson is not what we all want, he's not that bad. This essentially mitigates against Realmuto being traded instantly.

No one else on the team overachieved besides probably Anderson. Dietrich, Bour, Maybin, and Galloway (combined around 2.5 WAR over 1300 something PA eyeballing it) is not a big deal. There is player progression coming from the kids to deflect against that, plus they'll sign an OF or catcher to help.

It's going to be the same projection as last year, +/- 100 games. It's going to be bad,  but not historic 2003 Tigers bad.

I say who cares. Keep unapologetically make baseball moves and build a longterm winner. Feel free to criticize the players they get (the Yelich deal looks awful, etc.), but 1 year into cleaning up Loria's mess, the process of what they are doing matters. Process wise, everything besides Yelich makes sense to me or is so minor (releasing Dietrich) it doesn't really matter. So they didn't get another RP arm for him? Whatever? Let's hope they go overslot on the draft again and keep hammering IFA. That's the focus to me. Let's hope Realmuto is cashed in for a good package. Let's hope Castro and Conley turn into good young players at the deadline or earlier. Let's hope they find another Uggla in the Rule V. Let's hope they get another Cody Ross for $1.

• Like 1

People who say it doesn't matter if they lose 90 or 110 must not watch or attend games.  Wins/losses don't happen in a vacuum.  There is a long season to sit through.  A 90 loss team is still a competitive team, and may even be "in the race" for a good portion of the season.  If a rebuilding team wins 90 games it generates interest in the community and makes people feel good about the future.  A 110 loss team on the other hand is a disastrous, historically bad team.   It creates negative energy around the organization and people are pessimistic about the future.   So, it matters a great deal.