Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Erick

This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ema2R said:

Who's our Opener tho?

I know this is a joke but honestly maybe this is the best path for Chen.  He clearly can’t exist as a starting pitcher.  The excuses we’ve heard all year about his relief appearances is that he takes forever to warm up and that it’s not a role he is used to.  So how bout we deploy him as an opener once every five days when Urena pitches.  Give Chen an inning.  If he gets through give him another.  After two innings give urena the ball and see if he can get it to the seventh when we turn it over to our magnificent bullpen.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

I know this is a joke but honestly maybe this is the best path for Chen.  He clearly can’t exist as a starting pitcher.  The excuses we’ve heard all year about his relief appearances is that he takes forever to warm up and that it’s not a role he is used to.  So how bout we deploy him as an opener once every five days when Urena pitches.  Give Chen an inning.  If he gets through give him another.  After two innings give urena the ball and see if he can get it to the seventh when we turn it over to our magnificent bullpen.  

I like this idea if he must remain on the roster. Worth a test run at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I like this idea if he must remain on the roster. Worth a test run at least.

The $42 million forces the team to exhaust all options. Tazawa was on the last year of his deal when we parted ways last year and he was owed under $10 million.  This Chen situation is horrendous.  There’s probably a precedent on another team but not here. People love to expect billionaires to eat bad contracts but that can be bad business too.  

All this of course ignores one key factor and that is Chen’s elbow may be to blame for all this.  I recall a small debate on this board when he decided against surgery. Perhaps that was in his best interest but not the teams.  However in hindsight had he gotten the surgery it would have cleared a roster spot and given Chen a reasonable excuse and potentially a better result in the end (and perhaps the chance at one more contract if everything went perfectly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

 

I like how he's arguing as if Tampa works the same as Miami.

The Tampa area, to me, seems like a lost cause.  Is moving it around the corner really going to do anything?  Maybe it will, I don't know.

The south Florida market at least has shown it WILL show up IF the team is winning.  I say move the Rays since their stadium quest has been derailed again, and let the Marlins be "Florida's" team (still branded Miami, of course) like they were originally.  Obviously you're not going to get people to drive from Tampa to watch, but you could get TV viewership as the only team in the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does take more than just winning. The fans have to care about the team that's winning. Unless it's winning in the playoffs.  Nobody is showing up just because the Marlins or Rays are in first place in April or May. Not yet at least. That's why interest, tradition, and culture are important as well. The Yankees and Red Sox haven't started the season well but I doubt their attendance is suffering so winning alone isn't the solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

The $42 million forces the team to exhaust all options. Tazawa was on the last year of his deal when we parted ways last year and he was owed under $10 million.  This Chen situation is horrendous.  There’s probably a precedent on another team but not here. People love to expect billionaires to eat bad contracts but that can be bad business too.  

All this of course ignores one key factor and that is Chen’s elbow may be to blame for all this.  I recall a small debate on this board when he decided against surgery. Perhaps that was in his best interest but not the teams.  However in hindsight had he gotten the surgery it would have cleared a roster spot and given Chen a reasonable excuse and potentially a better result in the end (and perhaps the chance at one more contract if everything went perfectly)

It's worse than 42 Million, the current ownership group was responsible for his $13 Million Signing Bonus too.

Don't be surprised if he elects surgery at the end of august, so he can return at the end of next year and hunt one last MILB deal to regain his value, unless he comes back and pitches well enough to earn a MLB deal.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piazza31 said:

It's worse than 42 Million, the current ownership group was responsible for his $13 Million Signing Bonus too.

Don't be surprised if he elects surgery at the end of august, so he can return at the end of next year and hunt one last MILB deal to regain his value, unless he comes back and pitches well enough to earn a MLB deal.
 

I read something yesterday that this group is paying something like 69M of the 82M contract (with Loria paying only that difference)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...