Sign in to follow this  
Erick

This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

11 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

For the record I don’t think losing at the major league level in year two of a massive rebuild is all that alarming. 

It isn't, they are supposed to be a losing team. But they are so far even worse than anticipated. During a rebuild, you want to see progression and not regression. Even if it is a slow pace. When Brinson continues to be terrible and Alcantara continues to be not only inconsistent but frankly bad outside of his season debut and Lopez takes a step back so far... these kind of things are not good signs. Maybe they all flip it around and this becomes a small forgettable time. But I think it is only realistic to acknowledge that things are not going well currently even with low expectations.

8 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

It isn't, they are supposed to be a losing team. But they are so far even worse than anticipated. 

Of the guys on the 25 man roster right now , the following are the ones I think we need to see do well: Alfaro, Brinson, Anderson, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Smith. Of those seven we’ve seen good things at times from all but Brinson and Anderson.  Anderson will come around I feel.  When you dial into certain guys and forget about the abysmal run production, bullpen, and wins totals there are tiny nuggets of intrigue

hows that for a compliment?  

That aside.  Yea we watch games to win so this season sucks from that standpoint 

5 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Yea we watch games to win

Not true. Sometimes I don't know the score or even who's playing. I watch for the experience. 

• Like 1

It saddens me how truly awful this team is. Looking at the roster, I'm not at all surprised.

And then I look at how well Dembo's star draft picks from last year, Scott, Pompey and Banfield are doing, all hitting well below the Mendoza line so far (Scott's performance since drafted has been truly dreadful) . There really is nothing more than can be said other than the non-pitching prospects in the system look like a vast wasteland. Harrison and Diaz do not inspire, both sucking so far in AAA after being at most mediocre in AA.  VVM OPS'ing 558. Oh of course, I know its early. But when Austin Dean is the best your system seems capable of producing at the present, it only confirms that the Marlins as an organization are what their critics say they are. The Jeter, Dembo crew so far inspire zero confidence in me that this thing will get turned around. Or perhaps they're working on a 10 year horizon.

11 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Yea we watch games to win so this season sucks from that standpoint 

To be honest, while I want them to win -- I never expected them to win much this year. I wanted to watch to see the young guys grow and improve. I am not seeing much of that.

4 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

@SixYearItch you don’t sound happy with your experience 

Read his post history, nobody does doom and gloom like that guy.

I am excited for guys like Monte Harrison, Sixto Sanchez,  Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto to name a few. I think it is foolish to think they won't be productive at the MLB level. Nobody knows how they'll do up here until they get here.

To throw out things like "10 year plan" makes a person's argument lose all credibility from the start. I always consider people who say 10,15,20 years away to be idiots or trolls.

One of the scarier things is that, with all of the extensions being handed out recently, free agency isn't going to be a legitimate way of building a team. Teams are going to need to draft well, build from within, and extend their players. The Marlins have NO ONE I would give a lengthy extension to right now, and that's troubling. All that being said, there have been some mechanically separated ground nuggets of optimism in a season where we expected all-white meat tenders, and I don't think Mattingly is the right guy to lead a team like this. The Marlins need a much more analytic, thought-based manager at the helm. 

Also, #FuckJeter of course.

• Like 1

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I am excited for guys like Monte Harrison, Sixto Sanchez,  Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto to name a few. I think it is foolish to think they won't be productive at the MLB level. Nobody knows how they'll do up here until they get here.

Don't be stupid Jackson, if they are wearing a Marlins uniform, they are going to be bad because #FuckJeter

• Laugh 1