Sign in to follow this  
Erick

This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

14 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Stanton isn't on the DL and I am willing to bet my entire next paycheck that he will never spend another day this season on the DL. 

I know. I did not mention that he is on the DL now. I just said he was injured. He did stay off the DL in 2017 though.

12 hours ago, DTrain said:

5.09 ERA but a 2.50 FIP

Sandy has been very unlucky thus far.  Advanced stats say he is pitching much better than his ERA suggests. 

His FIP is only so good because he has not given up any home runs yet. Do you really think he will give up 0.0 per 9 the whole year. His Hits/9 and SO/9 are bad and his BB/9 is not great.

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

His FIP is only so good because he has not given up any home runs yet. Do you really think he will give up 0.0 per 9 the whole year. His Hits/9 and SO/9 are bad and his BB/9 is not great.

The whole problem with having 1,000 different stats to reference when you need one.

I don't know any of the advanced stats but I am willing to bet I can find a few that back up my argument about him being bad overall so far.

10 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

as fans, why are we still here?

Misery loves company, and as suckers we are all company men.

19 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I wonder what kind of crossover there will be with Inter Miami fans and Marlins fans. If the Marlins don’t show significant improvement at the major league level next year could Inter cause another attendance dip?   For the record I don’t think losing at the major league level in year two of a massive rebuild is all that alarming. 

Well, they'll likely be playing in Fort Lauderdale the first year or two, so I wouldn't expect much of an affect - especially with how much Jeter loves the 954 fans.

19 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

It isn't, they are supposed to be a losing team. But they are so far even worse than anticipated. During a rebuild, you want to see progression and not regression. Even if it is a slow pace. When Brinson continues to be terrible and Alcantara continues to be not only inconsistent but frankly bad outside of his season debut and Lopez takes a step back so far... these kind of things are not good signs. Maybe they all flip it around and this becomes a small forgettable time. But I think it is only realistic to acknowledge that things are not going well currently even with low expectations.

I expected to be roughly the same as last year - we lost Realmuto, but conversely the pitching should be better than last year, and the starters I think have been better.  The problem is the offense has been horrifically and historically bad.  I was hopeful Brinson would figure something out, but he looks just as lost as ever.  I think we'll see the offense stabilize somewhat when Anderson, Castro, etc. play back to normal levels, but we need to see progress.

18 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

One of the scarier things is that, with all of the extensions being handed out recently, free agency isn't going to be a legitimate way of building a team. Teams are going to need to draft well, build from within, and extend their players. The Marlins have NO ONE I would give a lengthy extension to right now, and that's troubling. All that being said, there have been some mechanically separated ground nuggets of optimism in a season where we expected all-white meat tenders, and I don't think Mattingly is the right guy to lead a team like this. The Marlins need a much more analytic, thought-based manager at the helm. 

Also, #FuckJeter of course.

Since all those analytic-driven shifts are working out so well for us.....

That said, I agree, Mattingly isn't the guy moving forward.  I think they just let him ride out his contract and bring in a new guy next year.  That said, if they continue to be historically bad, I'm not opposed to a mid-season change.  They're at a point being so bad now where I don't think even the media can criticize them for a change before the contract is up.

It continues to make no sense to me for them to keep Don the whole season if they are sure he won't be back and I believe they are. Not that changing managers will make them a good team this year, it just is a matter of delaying experience for the new skipper who I believe will be Posada.

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

So his HR’s allowed WILL change but he WON’T start giving up less hits and walk less people?

gotcha

Wait wait wait......

i think i just found a typo on the official Marlins site....

Under Marlins Leaders it shows Neil Walker having the HIGHEST Batting Average on the team. 

That can’t be right, right? 

7 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

It continues to make no sense to me for them to keep Don the whole season if they are sure he won't be back and I believe they are. Not that changing managers will make them a good team this year, it just is a matter of delaying experience for the new skipper who I believe will be Posada.

A lot of people seem to think it'll be Hillman, who came back from managing in Japan to be our 1st base coach.

1 minute ago, DTrain said:

Wait wait wait......

i think i just found a typo on the official Marlins site....

Under Marlins Leaders it shows Neil Walker having the HIGHEST Batting Average on the team. 

That can’t be right, right? 

It sure is among qualified hitters. Alfaro would be the leader but he's a few AB short.