• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Cano/Mets talks heating up

On 11/30/2018 at 11:44 AM, SilverBullet said:

I'm curious what Mets fans are saying about this deal.

U can ask @Piazza31

lol... if the win now Mets don't get this right they'll be toast when we're supposedly ready to compete right? Agree or disagree?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

lol... if the win now Mets don't get this right they'll be toast when we're supposedly ready to compete right? Agree or disagree?

Disagree - because the Mets are willing to spend to bring in legit FA's if they really want to - that coupled with the fact that we really don't have superstar prospects at this point - VVM being the most hyped (but still unknown in terms of how he'll fare against MLB pitching) could mean both teams will be giant piles of shit in 2021. I hope to hell Brinson turns it around and becomes a Mike Cameron type guy this year but I mean, wtf do they do if the kids perform at the level they did last season? They're really banking on a good portion of these kids suddenly becoming at least replacement level.  So yeah, both teams could very well be flaming dumpster fires at that point but at least the Mutts will likely be able to score more than 3 runs a game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/12/02/new-york-mets-robinson-cano-edwin-diaz-mariners-brodie-van-wagenen/2183949002/

Articles like this one applauding the Mets for recklessly going for it just strike me as being so odd. If it works for the Mets then awesome but I don't think their chances are very good (they weren't that much better than the Marlins in 2018) and if they're a total disaster two years from now and decide to do a rebuild I just want people like Nightengale to remember days like today when they took cheap shots at any team trying to do things the rebuilding way. 

Apparently, the Mets and new general manager Brodie Van Wagenen never got the memo that when you hire a new front-office regime, you’re supposed to gut the team, undergo a complete rebuild and plead for patience with your fanbase that you’ll be a World Series contender in five years.

The last we checked, we have yet to see a single banner celebrating prospect titles at any ballpark in the country.

Let the Mariners, San Diego Padres and all of the rest of the rebuilding teams brag about their farm systems while they keep losing year after year.

Imagine, a team actually spending money, taking a genuine risk, and trying to win a World Series without worrying about hoarding prospects.

And yes I understand it's an exciting feeling to "win the offseason" and to think your team suddenly has a chance to compete but I don't get the looking down upon the teams that feel they have to do rebuilds. If you're a top level team then great, but if your not, there's no point in being a team in the middle treading water. And if I'm a Mets fan I'm cautiously excited for 2019 but also I'm scared as hell of what happens if this next Mets team is a total flop. 

6 minutes ago, Erick said:

What the Mets are doing is they’re trying to win. 

Good for them. Now tell me what happens if it fails? 

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Good for them. Now tell me what happens if it fails? 

"At least they tried"