• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Cano/Mets talks heating up

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Good for them. Now tell me what happens if it fails? 

Can’t be afraid to fail.

They might as well go all in anyway. Their farm system stinks and they have a good rotation. They only gave up one interesting prospect in the deal. If they fail, they can probably trade Diaz next year and get a similar return. As Marlins fans, we tend to overvalue prospects sometimes.

• Like 1

The better question is, what’s Seattle doing? Combining this deal with the deal they made with the Phillies, Jerry Dipoto truly has no direction for that team.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Can’t be afraid to fail.

They might as well go all in anyway. Their farm system stinks and they have a good rotation. They only gave up one interesting prospect in the deal. If they fail, they can probably trade Diaz next year and get a similar return. As Marlins fans, we tend to overvalue prospects sometimes.

I'm not complaining about what they're trying to do, I'm asking what will they do if this doesn't work, you didn't answer that. 

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm not complaining about what they're trying to do, I'm asking what will they do if this doesn't work, you didn't answer that. 

The same thing all teams do when it doesn’t work...try to rebuild. 

18 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/12/02/new-york-mets-robinson-cano-edwin-diaz-mariners-brodie-van-wagenen/2183949002/

Articles like this one applauding the Mets for recklessly going for it just strike me as being so odd. If it works for the Mets then awesome but I don't think their chances are very good (they weren't that much better than the Marlins in 2018) and if they're a total disaster two years from now and decide to do a rebuild I just want people like Nightengale to remember days like today when they took cheap shots at any team trying to do things the rebuilding way. 

And yes I understand it's an exciting feeling to "win the offseason" and to think your team suddenly has a chance to compete but I don't get the looking down upon the teams that feel they have to do rebuilds. If you're a top level team then great, but if your not, there's no point in being a team in the middle treading water. And if I'm a Mets fan I'm cautiously excited for 2019 but also I'm scared as hell of what happens if this next Mets team is a total flop. 

"Winning the offseason" is exciting if you're a fan of that team because it carries you through the boring months and gives you hope the first couple months while waiting for the new guys to 'gel'.  Some fans like rebuilds too - but the trades need to make sense and the prospects you get back actually be productive.  Additionally, if the Mutts fail with these signings? - they'll just wash their hands of it with Jeter's jug of hand sanitizer and go back at it again instead of saying, "you guuuuuuuuys...we just hAAAAAAd to move these contracts.  give us another 4-5 years....but here's this cool box to sit in and tell us what you think of us."

Our big excitement?  Waiting for our resident Mensa member and part time GM to trade away our last remaining great player and hoping he doesn't shit the bed in the process.  I know you wholeheartedly disagree with me on this but it also irritates me when ya'll blast teams for trying to get their fanbase excited after a shitty season by bringing in some talent. 

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I know you wholeheartedly disagree with me on this but it also irritates me when ya'll blast teams for trying to get their fanbase excited after a shitty season by bringing in some talent. 

No I don't disagree. I'm not saying I have a problem with what the Mets are doing, I'm not blasting them for trying... going for it is exciting for the fanbase and they should be happy at the moment.

What does strike me as realllllyyyy awkward is articles applauding the "not very good" Mets for going for it while laughing at those who rebuild when chances are suddenly high that the Mets will probably have to rebuild a few seasons from now. How stupid will everyone look then?

The Mets had a lot of injuries last year. They’re probably not quite as bad as their record last year. With some additions, they can compete. 

Really idiotic deal.

Mets get the backend of the Cano deal.  That's going to work out well.

They basically traded away a shit ton of stuff for a closer.  Impressive.  They should have just kept the one they had and signed him up this offseason.

16 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Tear it down and start over?

They still have several good pitchers they can cash in for prospects if need be.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Tear it down and start over?

They still have several good pitchers they can cash in for prospects if need be.

Yes that's my point. Today it's "haha rebuilds suck we're totally going for it"... two years from now they might very well be rebuilding.