• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Cano/Mets talks heating up

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Yes that's my point. Today it's "haha rebuilds suck we're totally going for it"... two years from now they might very well be rebuilding.

Ok.... but there's no guarantee a rebuild will work either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Ok.... but there's no guarantee a rebuild will work either.

Oh I know that. I'm not saying either way is proven to work better than the other.

19 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Good thing the Marlins are doing a build instead of a rebuild, higher success rate maybe.

We could be leading the next wave of rebuilding in MLB!  Who would've thought?  The Marlins starting a trend!

the mets are deservedly going to be applauded because they TRY to placate their fanbase by bringing in talent via FA/trades. I also think a lot of us, myself included, look at these deals only from a Marlins perspective because we know whoever owns our team is going to be stingy af with their money and big signings - Mets? Not so much. They'll spend. And if in 3 years or so (which is a LOOOOOOONG time for a pro sports team in terms of what can happen) if they need to spend again then they will.  This is why these teams that do seemingly crazy deals get applauded while our tank job gets blasted - it's because we NEVER keep our own talent even when we "rebuild/build" so the joke, until proven wrong by some ownership group, is that even if we do reach a modicum of success it won't last very long either because we won't pay to keep them around. 

Edited by hovertical (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

because we know whoever owns our team is going to be stingy af with their money and big signings - Mets? Not so much

You can't compare the 2. The Mets have a good tv deal, play in one of the biggest markets and have solid revenue. They can afford to have a bad contract or two on the books. The Marlins HAVE to be very careful with every big signing because one bad one will cripple the team's finances for years. 

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

You can't compare the 2. The Mets have a good tv deal, play in one of the biggest markets and have solid revenue. They can afford to have a bad contract or two on the books. The Marlins HAVE to be very careful with every big signing because one bad one will cripple the team's finances for years. 

you kind of just made my point.

You really have zero business owning a sports team if you have to be pinching pennies because the ultimate goal of any pro sports team is to provide a satisfying entertainment experience for the fans - something they want to come and see on a regular basis. A continual rebuild is not going to accomplish that. I know, I need to wait another 3 years to see this magic plan come together and by then all these awful deals the other NL East teams have done or are rumored to be doing (Harper, Machado, et al as well) will make them fodder for the impending Marlins juggernaut.

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

the mets are deservedly going to be applauded because they TRY to placate their fanbase by bringing in talent via FA/trades. I also think a lot of us, myself included, look at these deals only from a Marlins perspective because we know whoever owns our team is going to be stingy af with their money and big signings - Mets? Not so much. They'll spend. And if in 3 years or so (which is a LOOOOOOONG time for a pro sports team in terms of what can happen) if they need to spend again then they will.  This is why these teams that do seemingly crazy deals get applauded while our tank job gets blasted - it's because we NEVER keep our own talent even when we "rebuild/build" so the joke, until proven wrong by some ownership group, is that even if we do reach a modicum of success it won't last very long either because we won't pay to keep them around. 

The Mets have actually been notoriously stingy recently.

I'm curious what the front office hold overs there think of this new guys plan. Spend years building a team one way and suddenly a new guy comes in and aggressively implements a new way. Not necessarily saying it's bad I'm just saying it might be a shock to the system for them.