• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Netting extended at Marlins Park

MIAMI -- The Marlins are focusing on improving fan safety as part of the overall stadium enhancements the club is making to Marlins Park for 2019.

The organization is making numerous changes to the retractable-roof ball park, including extending the safety netting down each foul line. The installation of additional netting exceeds Major League Baseball's Fan Safety Recommendations.

Netting reached the ends of each dugout in 2018. Under the new configuration, the netting will be 30 feet high at the ends of each dugout, and taper down each foul line to the ends of Section 3 in right field, and FL11 in left field.

The state-of-the-art netting is 30 percent thinner than traditional netting, utilizing Dyneema fiber with a knotless "Ultra Cross" intersection supplied by Promats Athletics. It not only provides fans protection, but also is designed to blend into the playing surface.

To enhance the game experience, portions of the netting will be adjustable, providing access points that allow fans to get autographs and interact with the players and coaches before each game. The access points will be located along the entire length of both dugouts, plus four areas down the first-base line and three down the third-base line.

This is the second straight offseason in which safety netting was extended at Marlins Park. Prior to 2018, it was expanded to the ends of each dugout, which also surpassed MLB guidelines.

Marlins Park is undergoing several other revisions this offseason, including the removal of the "Homer" sculpture, which will be relocated outside the ballpark in 2020. In its place will be a multi-deck Center Field Party Zone. In right field, a standing-room-only social section will also be added.

Changes also have been made behind home plate. The updated lounge area, previously known as the Diamond Club, is now called The Club presented by DEX Imaging.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-to-extend-safety-net-at-marlins-park/c-301374200

I like this idea, all teams should do it. If you ever sat behind netting, you likely noticed it doesn't obstruct your view. You can pay complete attention to a game and still get nailed with a line drive foul ball. This is needed.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I like this idea, all teams should do it. If you ever sat behind netting, you likely noticed it doesn't obstruct your view. You can pay complete attention to a game and still get nailed with a line drive foul ball. This is needed.

It's interesting that they had already extended the netting the before last season... I'm not complaining but I'm wondering what's leading to another extension so soon after the last one.

And anyone who really has a problem with extended netting is an idiot. That Brad Ziegler tweet a while back about it was brilliant.

33 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

My cousin got hit by a ball at a game - we were in the first row well down the line past 1st base.  Thankfully she didn't get hit directly, but it actually bounced up off the dirt, onto the wall and then hit her.  She's fine now, but had to get stitches and I think had a concussion too.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

It's interesting that they had already extended the netting the before last season... I'm not complaining but I'm wondering what's leading to another extension so soon after the last one.

And anyone who really has a problem with extended netting is an idiot. That Brad Ziegler tweet a while back about it was brilliant.

what was his tweet?

these nets are the only ones I approve

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/52/a1/9052a1ff7fbb9538228bc21eea8c2bd2.gif (NSFW)