• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

2018 Winter Meetings

I don't think relying on "Streamer" as fact is a smart way to do things. It is just a projection and has been wrong in the past. It can be used as a tool but when fans point to it as the one and only reason to do something, that is a little wrong.

58 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I don't think relying on "Streamer" as fact is a smart way to do things. It is just a projection and has been wrong in the past. It can be used as a tool but when fans point to it as the one and only reason to do something, that is a little wrong.

It's not really the projection that I have an issue with. It's the 1 win = $9-$10 mil that gets used a lot (not just in this thread's example). I don't think was ever intended to be used as a going rate for WAR for the type of analysis being used here. Like the idea that Santana's deal is somehow neutral when a guy like Schoop (similar projected WAR) just got $7.5 mil on the open market seems off.

39 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Sure. I think you can question the Steamer numbers, but the analysis that guy did is right which is more important. A win in free agency is roughly +/- $8 million, and you can extrapolate prospect value (https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/) to figure out a baseline. That all makes sense.