Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Lower prices for ballpark food - 3-o-5 menu

Recommended Posts

Off topic but I love the design of that video and the use of the colors. There are a few things that could be tweaked to improve the uniforms but our color scheme is awesome and looks amazing in digital and social media uses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I would have to imagine water and soda at all concessions would be $3 now, right?  They highlighted it at these new sections, but that be incredibly stupid for it to be different prices at different spots.

I wonder how pricing will be at the other concession stands too - will they remain high, or will they drop some too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt this initiative comes because we have low attendance (if we had sellout crowds this wouldn't have been done) but I still think virtually ALL major sports teams/venues need to consider having value priced concessions like this.

Every team promotes themselves as family entertainment yet a "normal" family can't afford the pricing of full concessions for everyone so it really makes little sense to keep prices so high across the board.

I have to think these prices will make a significant difference in concession sales where it's very much still profitable for the team. Also gotta realize that not every item is gonna be this cheap.

Even teams with great fanbases should be doing this to a degree... yes, those Yankees too, I've heard enough complaints about how expensive Yankee Stadium is and it really knocks a huge percentage of real Yankee fans away from being able to enjoy that place. It's pretty messed up when you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

No doubt this initiative comes because we have low attendance (if we had sellout crowds this wouldn't have been done) but I still think virtually ALL major sports teams/venues need to consider having value priced concessions like this.

Every team promotes themselves as family entertainment yet a "normal" family can't afford the pricing of full concessions for everyone so it really makes little sense to keep prices so high across the board.

I have to think these prices will make a significant difference in concession sales where it's very much still profitable for the team. Also gotta realize that not every item is gonna be this cheap.

Even teams with great fanbases should be doing this to a degree... yes, those Yankees too, I've heard enough complaints about how expensive Yankee Stadium is and it really knocks a huge percentage of real Yankee fans away from being able to enjoy that place. It's pretty messed up when you think about it.

I know I'd buy more items with lower prices.  There's been plenty of times where I've been "do I really need to order that" with how much some stuff is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So, I would have to imagine water and soda at all concessions would be $3 now, right?  They highlighted it at these new sections, but that be incredibly stupid for it to be different prices at different spots.

I wonder how pricing will be at the other concession stands too - will they remain high, or will they drop some too?

I thought of this too. There's no way they'll have water and soda priced differently elsewhere unless the sizes are different. Maybe these are the only places to get 16 oz water bottles and so on. I'd imagine pricing remains the same on most other stuff BUT, from the sound of it so far, I think they'll increase the quality of the pricier items so people are still gonna wanna buy those as well.

If they do it right it should easily balance itself out. People will still buy the pricier items because they'll actually enjoy them but families and anyone looking for a cheap bite will more easily be able to buy the value items which, in the past, they might not have bought anything at all so even at value prices the team is getting in more purchases than before.

That has to be the plan and there's no real reason why it shouldn't work. Why didn't Loria and Samson ever do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These points were also mentioned in the article:

Here are some tidbits to digest:

-The Miami Marlins are one of the first teams in Major League Baseball — and one of just a handful in professional sports — to introduce a food and beverage value menu.

-A nod to Miami’s 305 zip code provided an opportunity to include another touch point with our community.

-49% average reduction in 3-o-5 Menu item pricing compared to introductory price in 2018.

-The 3-o-5 Menu is part of a comprehensive plan by the organization to make it more affordable for fans to attend game.

-Marlins Member purchases of 3–o–5 Menu items will be eligible for their exclusive Member Benefit savings rate on food and beverage, and retail purchases at Marlins Park, allowing for up to an additional 25 percent savings based on membership level.

-Fans will now be able to create their own customizable value packs for all 81 games (replacing the Family Four Pack, All You Can Eat Seats).

-Equal value compared to purchase of prior season All You Can Eat ticket offer on select Saturday dates.

-$12 savings ($3 per ticket) compared to purchase of prior season 4-for-$84 ticket offer on select Sunday dates.

-This is the first step within a comprehensive initiative to totally reimagine the food and beverage experience at Marlins Park, and the latest in a series of investments made by the organization in the cost of fan experience for the 2019 season.

Not everything needs to be branded 305, it's getting overboard, but at least it makes sense.  No 954 menu?  Oh wait, not Miami....

---

I found the bolded points interesting.

I wonder if you have to lock yourself into a plan (buying a multi-game plan to begin with, but also, whether you have to say "I want this game to be all you can eat, this one to be family four, etc"), or if you can do it on a per-game basis (Joe Schmoe brings his family and decides he wants to do a "family four pack" pack for this game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I thought of this too. There's no way they'll have water and soda priced differently elsewhere unless the sizes are different. Maybe these are the only places to get 16 oz water bottles and so on. I'd imagine pricing remains the same on most other stuff BUT, from the sound of it so far, I think they'll increase the quality of the pricier items so people are still gonna wanna buy those as well.

If they do it right it should easily balance itself out. People will still buy the pricier items because they'll actually enjoy them but families and anyone looking for a cheap bite will more easily be able to buy the value items which, in the past, they might not have bought anything at all so even at value prices the team is getting in more purchases than before.

That has to be the plan and there's no real reason why it shouldn't work. Why didn't Loria and Samson ever do this?

Isn't a 16 oz water bottle the "regular" size water bottle, though?  Hmm.  I looked up Aquafina since they're the sponsor - they have 12, 17, 20, 24 oz bottles.  The site did say there will be larger, more expensive options for certain items (I'm guessing the water and sodas) on the 305 menu.  I just can't see them being different prices at different stands, aside from larger versions.

I'm with you - if it's good quality food item, I don't mind paying more for it.  When it winds up being nearly $20 a person for some frozen chicken tenders, fries and a drink.....that's where it gets ridiculous.

---

On a side note, I'll see if I can run by the park this week and see if there's much to see/update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Isn't a 16 oz water bottle the "regular" size water bottle, though?  Hmm.  I looked up Aquafina since they're the sponsor - they have 12, 17, 20, 24 oz bottles.  The site did say there will be larger, more expensive options for certain items (I'm guessing the water and sodas) on the 305 menu.  I just can't see them being different prices at different stands, aside from larger versions.

Marlins Park has always had different sized water bottles, yeah 16oz is regular but there's definitely a larger size there too.

I'm also glad it doesn't seem like they're knocking down portion sizes either. Drives me crazy when that's done... like when a fast food place offers $1 nuggets but it's just 4 nuggets. It's still a deal of course but the catch is the portion sizes shrank along with the prices. Value sized drinks become basically the tiny cups they give you when you ask for free water and so on. 16 oz sodas and waters are still good portion sizes here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...