Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Miami Marlins Top 32 Prospects

25 minutes ago, MiguelDontrelle said:

Basically the farm sucked heading into this most recent rebuild because they spent most of 2014-2017 trading away every prospect with a pulse (and draft picks) in desperate win-now attempts. The 2017 trades helped get things back to normal. It's lazy to say the farm still sucks without acknowledging that last year it graduated Brinson/Anderson/Smith/Lopez/Richards/Sierra, which is a lot to lose in one year (literally zero systems can graduate this much on a consistent basis and stay strong - look at how far a team like the Cubs' system has fallen in recent years). Long term I'm not really worried about the farm because draft and IFA spending in 2018 was as good as I can ever remember it being.

Drop Brinson and it's still a good graduation rate. I'm arguing the Marlins would be better with Anderson, Smith, Lopez, Richards and Sierra long term paired with Yelich and Stanton in the lineup.

Then add the Mesa's into that in a year or two.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

$400 million of the purchase price was inherited debt. They are trying to get out from under that for sustainability. Staying status quo would mean adding to that debt and with the same result, a losing record. They did the only thing they could do by rebuilding.

This team is more marketable with Stanton, Yelich and now JT than without.

2 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

This team is more marketable with Stanton, Yelich and now JT than without.

Yeah proven by the insanely high attendance we had from 2013-2017. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

I'm arguing the Marlins would be better with Anderson, Smith, Lopez, Richards and Sierra long term paired with Yelich and Stanton in the lineup.

I don't necessarily disagree w this. I think they just really wanted out of the Stanton deal (which I get). Whether or not they "had" to trade Yelich is debatable.

• Like 1

They absolutely didn't have to trade Yelich but with the value he had they thought taking advantage of his desire to want out was a good opportunity to advance the rebuild. I can't blame them for thinking that. With that said I think they rushed into the return package but I don't think the idea behind the trade was bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Attendance obviously wasn't good, but you cannot legitimately argue that Yelich, Stanton, and Realumto on one team would not be much more marketable than the bag of peanuts we have now (not to say a star can't come out of the new crop, but still).

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Attendance obviously wasn't good, but you cannot legitimately argue that Yelich, Stanton, and Realumto on one team would not be much more marketable than the bag of peanuts we have now (not to say a star can't come out of the new crop, but still).

If having the best OF in baseball including a guy chasing 60 homers in a year where the all star game is in your park isn't marketable enough to bring people to the stadium, then nothing is really at this time.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If having the best OF in baseball including a guy chasing 60 homers in a year where the all star game is in your park isn't marketable enough to bring people to the stadium, then nothing is really at this time.

Well, my comment was more in a vacuum/theory.

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Well, my comment was more in a vacuum/theory.

I know but we already have solid evidence of that not working so the theory was disproven in this case.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Not facing Public Relations Disaster from trading two MVP's and the best catcher in baseball is where the marketing comment was coming from.
This markets so used to dealign away players it's the only excuse it NEEDS to have as to why our attendence sucks.