Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Miami Marlins Top 32 Prospects

31 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I've been a member of this website since what?  1995?  

2002 according to your profile.  maybe you’re the famous Larry people keep accusing @SilverBullet of being 

4 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

As a person supportive of “building” I hesitate to throw this article out there.   It highlights the risks associated with dealing for prospects.   It’s not really something we didn’t already know but interesting considering the state of things with the Marlins 

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/10/18133919/baseball-trades-prospect-rankings-top-50-busts

So basically prospects fail more often than expected, especially ones that are traded. Because there's an information gap (if the player is so amazing, why would the team trade them unless they know or suspect something) and also there's the human element that sometimes everything is going great and then all of a sudden as a young adult you're yanked out of your comfort zone and friends and coaches and playing on another team with bigger expectations surrounded by strangers. I think it's more the first than the second but as an athlete (different sport however) there's definitely a physiological angle to all of this. Basically this just makes trading someone like Yelich completely unforgivable unless you're getting a haul back you couldn't possibly say no. 

Another thing it points out which I think we already know, when teams know that another teams scouting department has a hard-on for certain types of players, (I almost felt like they were talking about the Marlins when they started talking about big pitchers that bring the heat and throw fiery fastballs) teams will entice them with players in that mold that they know have other weaknesses that they've identified and believe said team doesn't know yet and will try moving them to that team to get most out of it. 

• Like 2

Just want to say, @MarlinsLou - love the posts. Keep that going.

@Piazza31 - you really thought Stanton wouldn't opt out? He was definitely going to opt out if the team kept being subpar, which all signs were pointing to that being the case. C'mon, man. ❤️ 

34 minutes ago, Michael said:

Just want to say, @MarlinsLou - love the posts. Keep that going.

@Piazza31 - you really thought Stanton wouldn't opt out? He was definitely going to opt out if the team kept being subpar, which all signs were pointing to that being the case. C'mon, man. ❤️ 

The argument against him opting out gained traction after 2016 when he had a little dip in form.  It cast a little doubt that he could sign a similar contract.  Obviously 2017 changed that

1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

The argument against him opting out gained traction after 2016 when he had a little dip in form.  It cast a little doubt that he could sign a similar contract.  Obviously 2017 changed that

Even after 2016, though, he has always said he wants to win. He'd have gone elsewhere and probably taken a pay cut if 2016 ended up being his normal.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, THRILLHO said:

2002 according to your profile.  maybe you’re the famous Larry people keep accusing @SilverBullet of being 

Thats when this board started on this software.

Actually brings up a good point.

Hey @Admin can I have the other 500k posts from previous boards or deleted from this site that were stolen from me?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Das Texan said:

Actually brings up a good point.

Hey @Admin can I have the other 500k posts from previous boards or deleted from this site that were stolen from me?

Thanks.

I wish we could just delete all your posts.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

On 12/26/2018 at 10:20 AM, THRILLHO said:

As a person supportive of “building” I hesitate to throw this article out there.   It highlights the risks associated with dealing for prospects.   It’s not really something we didn’t already know but interesting considering the state of things with the Marlins 

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/10/18133919/baseball-trades-prospect-rankings-top-50-busts

Amazing article.  Brinson makes an appearance.  And I had forgotten about Mike Olt!