Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Miami Marlins Top 32 Prospects

16 minutes ago, hovertical said:

so what was once a flaming dumpster fire just had someone piss on it to put out the fire. Hooray?

Proves the rebuild was the right idea, at least there has been improvement and a trend in the right direction instead of just treading water while also being a losing team in big leagues.

To anyone who may have forgot, the old roster produced consistent losing records, while the minor league system was a barren wasteland. Those who hated the idea of a rebuild, seem to live in a fantasy world where a WS contending team was together. It wasn't and they weren't a player or two away from it either before that old argument comes up again.

We can't know how bad or good the returns for those players will end up, but in Stanton's case -- we already know our side of it. Even if the players we got back don't help out, it was a giant financial relief. Something that may be appreciated in a few years when he's set to earn over $150 million more and is in a decline. A contract that can be absorbed by the Yankees (see A-Rod) but can't be by a franchise like Miami.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Proves the rebuild was the right idea, at least there has been improvement and a trend in the right direction instead of just treading water while also being a losing team in big leagues.

To anyone who may have forgot, the old roster produced consistent losing records, while the minor league system was a barren wasteland. Those who hated the idea of a rebuild, seem to live in a fantasy world where a WS contending team was together. It wasn't and they weren't a player or two away from it either before that old argument comes up again.

We can't know how bad or good the returns for those players will end up, but in Stanton's case -- we already know our side of it. Even if the players we got back don't help out, it was a giant financial relief. Something that may be appreciated in a few years when he's set to earn over $150 million more and is in a decline. A contract that can be absorbed by the Yankees (see A-Rod) but can't be by a franchise like Miami.

100% agree. Personally though, I do think Devers will turn out, he is one of the few guys that the article really likes.

• Like 3

I still disagree with the rebuild, we had TWO OF's that were entirely capable of carrying a lineup in Yelich and Stanton.

Both were still in their prime, controlled at a minimum of 3-5 years and both accomplished with the bat and in the field.

Those two are both are better and will be better than any OF prospect we will get or have gotten in trade, the only difference is they were cheaper.

Trading Ozuna was ok, considering he was closer to free agency and probably would have cost a boat load to extend after the season he had. We also got a Quality arm in Sandy and an OF Replacement in Sierra if we really needed it.

Trading Straily, and the bullpen arms would have done more. So would have moving Bour sooner.

Realistically a core of Yelich, Stanton and Realmutto would have been a hell of a core for this team, and would have probably helped our chances to keep JT long term too.

Right now, instead of 7 positions to fill we could have had 4 to hope to develop well and find some fish in a barrell so to speak.

C- Realmuto
1B- Bour ---> Prado and hope a prospect develops/acquired
2B- Gordon ---> Dietrich or Riddle
3B- Prado ---> Anderson
SS- Rojas ---> Rojas or Riddle
LF- Ozuna ---> Maybin, then Sierra, Dean, or Braxton Lee (before rule 5)
CF Yelich ---> Yelich
RF Stanton ---> Stanton

SP Sandy, Chen, Urena, Jarlin, Richards, Smith and the rest.

A lineup that has Stanton, Yelich and Realmuto and Anderson at 3B is a way better lineup than anything else we are going to trot out for the next 3 years and is better than a bunch of lineups in the NL.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I wasn't opposed to trading some assets like Bour and Ozuna, but I didn't want a complete tear down keeping Stanton would have kept Yelich, and eventually Realmuto, three All Stars. We had Anderson already. Thats 4 parts of a 8 part lineup where proven legitimate MLB players would be right now compared to just one (anderson).

They should have waited and kept that part together. The rebuild would be ahead of schedule in that case.

Edited by Piazza31 (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

I wasn't opposed to trading some assets like Bour and Ozuna, but I didn't want a complete tear down keeping Stanton would have kept Yelich, and eventually Realmuto, three All Stars. We had Anderson already. Thats 4 parts of a 8 part lineup where proven legitimate MLB players would be right now compared to just one (anderson).

They should have waited and kept that part together. The rebuild would be ahead of schedule in that case.

Bour had no trade value as we discovered. And the team was already a losing team with Bour and Ozuna, so they would have remained a losing team. Just would have been a more expensive losing team, while at the same time having no minor league system and yes, they do have one now even if it isn't the best one. That isn't a sustainable way to run a franchise, to just keep losing up top while having no future in minors. That's the Loria way.

Basically the farm sucked heading into this most recent rebuild because they spent most of 2014-2017 trading away every prospect with a pulse (and draft picks) in desperate win-now attempts. The 2017 trades helped get things back to normal. It's lazy to say the farm still sucks without acknowledging that last year it graduated Brinson/Anderson/Smith/Lopez/Richards/Sierra, which is a lot to lose in one year (literally zero systems can graduate this much on a consistent basis and stay strong - look at how far a team like the Cubs' system has fallen in recent years). Long term I'm not really worried about the farm because draft and IFA spending in 2018 was as good as I can ever remember it being.

• Like 4

$400 million of the purchase price was inherited debt. They are trying to get out from under that for sustainability. Staying status quo would mean adding to that debt and with the same result, a losing record. They did the only thing they could do by rebuilding.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I like how you said that "even if it doesn't work out it's a giant financial relief" 

Who gives a crap if it's a giant financial relief for them? It doesn't make the games any less painful to watch. It doesn't give the fans any extra "perks" - hell they couldn't even afford to have the AC on during the Summer.   They haven't shown any indication to reinvest in the team outside of spending a few million in the Mesa brothers.  UFA's are going to always cost more than they're worth - a MLB team spends about 7 million to sign a couple guys and we're supposed to be gaga over it?  I gave them credit for doing something in that regard but that's still a pretty basic budget signing in the grand scheme of things when you look around MLB in general.  Would you have rather had VVM or would you rather have kept Yelich? You don't buy a team if you can't afford to give the fans something to actually cheer about - all 32 of them.  As a fan you should never have to get excited over the fact your owners just gained "giant financial relief" unless you're somehow in their wills.

Also, when you're literally the very bottom of the farm system rankings there is no place to go but UP, by default.  And again, they moved that entire OF that was insanely good for peanuts - but hey, what a relief because they saved that money?  I know i feel good Jeter can afford more hand sanitizer and maybe to keep the lid closed so the AC can keep people comfy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I like how you said that "even if it doesn't work out it's a giant financial relief" 

I said even if the players don't work out, you changed what I said. Didn't think this needed explanation but here you go:

If Stanton declines in the second half of that deal (very likely), that 30 million a year or so would be going to waste. Now they can spend it elsewhere on players that may contribute, they can't absorb a big deal like the Yanks can. It would have crippled the franchise for years.

And before you say, they are cheap and won't spend it -- we don't know that. So far, evidence says they may. They went over slot in the draft and they went for the best IFA.

27 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Bour had no trade value as we discovered. And the team was already a losing team with Bour and Ozuna, so they would have remained a losing team. Just would have been a more expensive losing team, while at the same time having no minor league system and yes, they do have one now even if it isn't the best one. That isn't a sustainable way to run a franchise, to just keep losing up top while having no future in minors. That's the Loria way.

That may have been true, but those 4 players I mentioned were controllable assets that could have been here for 3-5 more years. That alone, with everything else we've done would have helped and still been a rebuild.

IF everything goes well, Lewis Brinson is another Yelich (he's proven so far to be more Maybin/Hermida than Yelich).
The SP Jordan Y and Harrison will develop into Anibal in his heyday or Ozuna.

We could have traded Ozuna for that, or the Cardinals Package.

Bour didn't need a major prospect, he just needed one that was cheap and a flyer.

That, coupled with the perception next year or two we will fill gaps with Free Agents could have had this rebuild ahead of schedule. Nevermind contracts like Prado and Chen falling off the books.

Trading those pieces that had long term value in Stanton and Yelich was short sighted. Those two didn't want a complete tear down/rebuild and having G, Yelly and JT in a lineup with the arms that we showed had potential this year could have been a dark horse from the start. If we added players like the blue jays and sold them off at the deadline it would have been even more fruitful.

All I'm saying is, move Gordon, Ozuna, Bour, and the pitchers we moved- and do everything else the same. Aren't we in a better position with Stanton Yelich, and Realmuto long term than Brinson, Cooper, Castro and who know's what we get for JT?