Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Miami Marlins Top 32 Prospects

It would have been wrong to consider marketing and popularity when making decisions about direction last year.  As had been stated numerous times, the team wasn’t drawing with those guys and they weren’t winnng either.  The farm was depleted and the road to the playoffs was going to be long, expensive, and risky if we didn’t cut bait with expensive contracts and deal valuable assets for real actual value.  Whatever public relations backlash occurs from doing that is not a big deal because the team wasn’t popular as it was.  To me it’s a no brainer

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

Not facing Public Relations Disaster from trading two MVP's and the best catcher in baseball is where the marketing comment was coming from.
This markets so used to dealign away players it's the only excuse it NEEDS to have as to why our attendence sucks.

If they only traded Gordon, Ozuna and Bour (your concept) it would have been just as much of an excuse for those same fans to not go and it would have still been called a firesale.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

They absolutely didn't have to trade Yelich but with the value he had they thought taking advantage of his desire to want out was a good opportunity to advance the rebuild. I can't blame them for thinking that. With that said I think they rushed into the return package but I don't think the idea behind the trade was bad. 

The truth is Yelich wanted out because Stanton was gone.

Keep Stanton, and look at them as two players for $193MM until 2022 (when Yelich is a FA). Thats $100 a player in the OF for 5 years of production. That's not a bad deal.

If Stanton opted out in 2020 (lets say he hated the rebuild and he wanted out at all costs) its $135MM for 3 more years of stanton and 5 years of yelich (hell of a deal).

Keeping Stanton and never trading him would have shown this market that money wasn't an issue at all, its about value. We got garbage for him, it was a total salary dump and we shouldnt have been forced to take castro back.

They should have paid down more to get players from houston, LA, or Chicago.

7 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

It would have been wrong to consider marketing and popularity when making decisions about direction last year.  As had been stated numerous times, the team wasn’t drawing with those guys and they weren’t winnng either.  The farm was depleted and the road to the playoffs was going to be long, expensive, and risky if we didn’t cut bait with expensive contracts and deal valuable assets for real actual value.  Whatever public relations backlash occurs from doing that is not a big deal because the team wasn’t popular as it was.  To me it’s a no brainer

Not for nothing, but did the Stanton and Yelich trades really fix the farm? Those two trades taken out and everything else the same, this team is in a better position.

3 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

If Stanton opted out in 2020 (lets say he hated the rebuild and he wanted out at all costs)

There is no chance in hell he was opting out or will opt out, unless he has multiple MVP seasons leading up to the opt-out and even then he may not. He's owed a shitload and it is far from a guarantee he could get more than that as a FA. He wasn't going to risk tons of money rebuild or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piazza31 said:

Not for nothing, but did the Stanton and Yelich trades really fix the farm? Those two trades taken out and everything else the same, this team is in a better position.

Stanton's contract is gone which is a net positive for the team's future itself. If the players we got for him contribute even better. Yelich's return can't be decided yet, it needs multiple seasons to see how those guys turn out

6 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If they only traded Gordon, Ozuna and Bour (your concept) it would have been just as much of an excuse for those same fans to not go and it would have still been called a firesale.

True, but the more than casual fans would have looked at it as

trading a player who never played up to his contract post PED suspension
Ozuna wouldnt be resigning (same as JT now)
Bour (nice but not reliable).

It was absolutly a firesale, I'm just arguing the teams in a better spot with those two guys and then JT than without.

Heck, look how most on the board now want JT gone because he won't resign and if he does its for stupid money. We would have done that with Ozuna instead LAST year rather than 2 offseasons of turmoil from the perception "we're cheap"

I think JT would have taken 5/70 if Yelich and Stanton were still here. Once Stanton was gone, both of them wanted out. It was about friendship with those three, not the money. Stanton wanted out because he knew it would be a firesale and he'd be left without his friends, and the others wanted out because they lost their friend and didn't have any more faith. Keep those three, and I truly believe the team is in a way better spot now, and in the future.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

There is no chance in hell he was opting out or will opt out, unless he has multiple MVP seasons leading up to the opt-out and even then he may not. He's owed a shitload and it is far from a guarantee he could get more than that as a FA. He wasn't going to risk tons of money rebuild or not.

He might not have opted out, but its still a better team with him than without. That and if it came down to it, I'm sure theres insurance on his contract in case of injury or death. The Mets have one on Cespedes, and had one on a career ending injury for wright.

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Stanton's contract is gone which is a net positive for the team's future itself. If the players we got for him contribute even better. Yelich's return can't be decided yet, it needs multiple seasons to see how those guys turn out

We are probably going to have to agree to disagree, but does Brinson, Harrison and the SP Jordan have a legit chance to be Gold Glovers and Silver Sluggers / a 2 or 3 SP? I'm basing Yelich on what he did here, not his MVP season.

12 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

I don’t think any one or two trades fixes an organization. But all things considered I agree with the direction they chose