Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Ugh Samson...

Why is there a group of people that feel for Samson? He, number 1, was partly responsible for the cheating the city out of millions of dollars to have the stadium built. Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization. Number 3, was overall unable to be swayed by the value of analytics. I just don't get why there is fanfare toward the guy, him and Loria's regime are entirely responsible for the actions taken by Jeter and company.

9 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization

As shitty as some of Samson's decisions and talking points were, I don't believe he traded anyone personally. He was in charge of the business side, not the baseball ops side.

• Like 1

Just now, SonOfJack said:

As shitty as some of Samson's decisions and talking points were, I don't believe he traded anyone personally. He was in charge of the business side, not the baseball ops side.

He was a part of the trade talks. Based on the interview at least, he gave the impression that he had a fair bit of say when it came down to who was moved and for what. I'm not saying he is solely responsible for the Disco trade, or the debacle that was any trade we have ever made with the padres, but I do feel he had enough power to say no to those actions.

1 hour ago, 97marlin said:

Why is there a group of people that feel for Samson? He, number 1, was partly responsible for the cheating the city out of millions of dollars to have the stadium built. Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization. Number 3, was overall unable to be swayed by the value of analytics. I just don't get why there is fanfare toward the guy, him and Loria's regime are entirely responsible for the actions taken by Jeter and company.

I didn't know there was a group of people feeling for Samson?

1 hour ago, 97marlin said:

He was a part of the trade talks. Based on the interview at least, he gave the impression that he had a fair bit of say when it came down to who was moved and for what. I'm not saying he is solely responsible for the Disco trade, or the debacle that was any trade we have ever made with the padres, but I do feel he had enough power to say no to those actions.

I've never heard him talk about things he did regarding moves, more "we" as an organization.

• Like 1

To be fair, owner Loria meddled in baseball operations, demanded signings and trades, and even negotiated with free agents before consulting with baseball operations so it wouldn't shock me to hear his son in law also having a hand in baseball operations decisions. Comparing Chip Bowers' boundaries and duties as team president to Samson's isn't necessarily the same. 

We all need to agree on who to blame for the state of the organization that Jeter inherited. Is it Mike Hill, David Samson or Jeff Loria?

I say Loria. The man who according to Samson overruled everyone on everything.

Also on the son in law thing, he's a former son in law and I think that marriage ended before his ownership of the Marlins. Not sure that mattered as much. Loria after all threatened to fire Samson if he appeared on Lebatard's show again even.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

We all need to agree on who to blame for the state of the organization that Jeter inherited. Is it Mike Hill, David Samson or Jeff Loria?

I say Loria. The man who according to Samson overruled everyone on everything.

Also on the son in law thing, he's a former son in law and I think that marriage ended before his ownership of the Marlins. Not sure that mattered as much. Loria after all threatened to fire Samson if he appeared on Lebatard's show again even.

Loria is definitely "the one to blame" but man you're more defensive of Samson than ever lately. The details on his mother's marriage don't change the fact that he could easily have been more involved in baseball operations than most other people with the title of team president. Did Samson get you something extra special for Christmas this year? 

8 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

As shitty as some of Samson's decisions and talking points were,

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

but man you're more defensive of Samson than ever latel

Hmm doesn't add up.