• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Mr. Wizard

REAL FANS - Do we make Jeter suffer another year of us not attending?

23 minutes ago, sdg210 said:

As for sherman, this has nothing to do with what takes place on the field. This is from my conversation with people that know him personally. The team was an investment. He is looking to make money. He does not care about winning. The article I cited shows he's not the only one. It is true Jeter is running the team. Sherman is not interested in that. But he's given Jeter marching orders with respect to budgeting and how much to spend. The budget, as of now, is comparble to that of lower market teams (I've tried get specifics but havent been able to grt those). Jeter can do whatever he wants in running the team. It's his show. However, he is on a tight leash. 

Do you think Jeter is trying and/or wants to win within Sherman's marching orders? Or is he just pushing the investment along for Sherman?

48 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Do you think Jeter is trying and/or wants to win within Sherman's marching orders? Or is he just pushing the investment along for Sherman?

I haven't heard much about Jeter regarding his motivations. It appears he genuinely wants to win in spite of his limitations. His problem is he can't be honest with the public in terms of what he has to work with. So, all he can do is say what he's been saying.  At the same time he is making 5MM a years so he'll recoup his investment just staying as ceo and doing nothing. So long as he stays withing budget, Jeter can't lose financially so he can afford to try to win albeit with limited resources. 

The only issue I have with Jeter is that he knew going into buying this team with Sherman that he was going to have to break this team up, that was the only way he was going to get the money to buy the team. No one else was going to give him the amount of money that he got to buy the team without those restrictions. So while Jeter may want to win, he knew he had to break this team up to be able to run it. In reality, he could have probably worked out a deal with bush or with mas to get the deal done. The problem was he didn't want to share the reins. So in order for him to get the deal to where he could run the team by himself he had to accept these restrictions. And it's with those restrictions that have an issue with.

21 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't need to grow up. I definitely used profanities because your words were insulting to me and it pissed me off... so if we're two adults, I should be allowed to use profanities in a conversation. It's real easy to just point fingers at someone using profanity and start calling them juvenile as a way to take the attention off what's really being discussed. 

So back to what's being discussed... according to you every Marlins fan who spent money on the team in 2018 is doing so because they're too scared to speak up for themselves and so they just go with the flow right? That's exactly what you said. That's called a coward whether you said the word or not. That is a whole lot of people to be insinuating cowardice towards. 

I'm gonna be honest man, I don't wanna keep on with this back and forth, it doesn't lead to anything good. I think you've said your words and I've said mine. Even getting upset, believe me or not, I do respect you. Say whatever you want next, I'm done, I can't take this any further. 

Cool with me. I will leave you with one other thought (and the rest who aren't protesting with what is going on). If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:40 AM, Mr. Wizard said:

For those of us that are true REAL FANS that know we got screwed with everything that Jeter and Sherman did. Like getting rid of our great developed players, got rid of Jack, Conine, Dawson and Perez and all the other things that pissed us off. We protested and kept our money and DID NOT go to any games, nor buy any merchandise, so what are your thoughts for doing the same or not this year?

So if all of you fans (no matter what type you are (LOL), the real purpose of me starting this thread was to find out if you are going to protest a 2nd year or not. I know that this thread really got off topic. But it would be interesting to know. You only need to say whether you are going to still protest or you have decided to give it a go this year.  THANKS!!

10 minutes ago, Mr. Wizard said:

So if all of you fans (no matter what type you are (LOL), the real purpose of me starting this thread was to find out if you are going to protest a 2nd year or not. I know that this thread really got off topic. But it would be interesting to know. You only need to say whether you are going to still protest or you have decided to give it a go this year.  THANKS!!

Sounds like nobody is planning on intentionally staying away from Marlins games.

I was reading an interesting article on The Athletic by Jayson Stark discussing the slow free agent market and the recent attendance drop:

https://theathletic.com/761616/2019/01/11/stark-does-baseballs-slow-free-agent-market-hurt-attendance/

And I don't discuss this to bring up the "we should've signed 2 pitchers" debate, but I found the topic interesting in relating to our new ownership.

It looked at moves back to Barry Bonds going to San Francisco, and how new ownership wanted to make a splash and show a dissatisfied fanbase that they were serious about winning, and changing feelings/create a new narrative about the franchise.  Attendance rose by 1.04 million that year.  It gave a few other examples, including Reyes to the Marlins.

Anyway, the gist of the article was that signings and moves now are made by GMs based on avoiding risk only, and the value that player offers on field only, not considering any sort of fan component or emotion, and that is a component affecting attendance.  Obviously winning "cures" all, but there's an emotional connection (and conversely an attendance affect) to signing people.  As we can attest, though, winning the winter doesn't always mean you're successful.  Regardless, I found it an intriguing argument and a good read.

Edited by rmc523 (see edit history)

Lol this is a funny topic. I was born in 1994. I went to my first Marlins game in 1995 when I was 6 months old. I started going to games regularly in 2003 the year the Marlins won the World Series and beat Jeter’s Yankees. My dad and I have been STH’s since 2004. My relationship to the Marlins is my relationship. Everyone’s relationship with the Marlins is different. I consider a real fan to either watch or listen to the marlins on tv or radio. Also if you attend games at marlins park. You can still be a real fan without going to games imo. 

However, my opinion is this. For now, I will not buy any merchandise with the new logo because I do think it’s a little unfair that STH’s support the team and wear merchandise, yet this is the third logo in this decade. Jeter has also not done a good job honoring Jose Fernandez and did a bad job firing people. 

The positives are that Jeter is doing whatever he can for the fans to make Marlins Park an awesome atmosphere. More standing room, blue walls, ivy, 305 Menu are all great changes. Jeter invested in VV Mesa and his brother. The biggest International FA Prospect. Jeter is taking his time trading Realmuto. 

What’s up for debate is whether the Marlins should have kept Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Gordon, Realmuto, and added pitching. The problem was when Jose Fernandez died, it made a hole that couldn’t be easily replaced. I could see both sides. If Jose was still alive and not traded, the Marlins could have just added pitching. But I could see why Jeter went in a different direction. 

Hopefully, when we look back on Jeter 10 years in the future, the Marlins will have at least 1 title. But I want sustainable winning also. And keep ticket prices low please. I also believe the Marlins will get $100 million per year from TV Revenue when they make a new deal. That will be a game changer. I believe the Marlins’ market potential is worth $100 million alone. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mr. Wizard said:

Who the fuck protested? We didn't have a pots and pans walk down Calle Ocho.... we just stopped giving them our money hands over fist like we did in years past because it was no longer entertainment.

The money will come back when the product comes back.

• Like 1