• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Mr. Wizard

REAL FANS - Do we make Jeter suffer another year of us not attending?

I guess some people only want to believe what they want to believe. Oh well. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, like believing we just two pitchers away.

You are just too stupid to get it. We could've traded $25 million to a team for their ace and put with the 2017 offense, we'd go all the way.. Those kind of trades happen all the time according to sdg (don't tell him it has never has happened even once) Cheapness prevented a world title.

• Like 1

That's the thing. If we don't have the cash to pay for a free agent, how do we suddenly have the cash to trade for a player outright? Not only would you have to take the contract, but you have to put in extra for the team you're getting him from. No team is going to say, "Oh you're going to cover his contract? Sweet, have him." Gotta throw in the extra.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's the thing. If we don't have the cash to pay for a free agent, how do we suddenly have the cash to trade for a player outright? Not only would you have to take the contract, but you have to put in extra for the team you're getting him from. No team is going to say, "Oh you're going to cover his contract? Sweet, have him." Gotta throw in the extra.

Not to mention, which teams are looking to sell their good pitchers? The concept is not plausible but you can't tell him that.

here's what happened:

1) I said name free agents they could have signed. When he looked and noticed there were none, he said we could have traded.

2) When I asked traded how? By trading non-existent prospects or key offensive players? He realized that's right and switched to trade cash for players!

• Downvote 1

I would concede that we could have kept Stanton and Yelich. Ozuna and Dee would have had to be traded at the least to get SOMETHING decent. Both were coming off of big years, they probably could have netted more in a return than they did, but eh. 

Granted we were going for prospects, not quite MLB players. Probably be more of a one-for-one or at most two trade for both.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I would concede that we could have kept Stanton and Yelich. Ozuna and Dee would have had to be traded at the least to get SOMETHING decent. Both were coming off of big years, they probably could have netted more in a return than they did, but eh. 

Granted we were going for prospects, not quite MLB players. Probably be more of a one-for-one or at most two trade for both.

And considering the team was a losing team with that solid offense, how do they become a better team in 2018 by trading away some of that offense even if they landed a decent arm back?

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

And considering the team was a losing team with that solid offense, how do they become a better team in 2018 by trading away some of that offense even if they landed a decent arm back?

Exactly. People just assume way too much there, as if everything happened in a vacuum. "If you sign these pitchers for the rotation the bullpen automatically becomes better because they work less." Sure, that makes sense, assuming those starting pitchers do what they need to do. But is that enough to improve the 2017 team, who went 77-85, to make the playoffs? The wild cards in the National League were Chicago and Colorado. They did better than Atlanta did, so our path would have been the division. In that case, it's a 14 win improvement that would have been needed. Do a couple pitchers make this team 14 games better? I just can't see it.